Dripping 2 Part

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

greenmonkey51

I'm setting up a 40g SPS tank. I've decided to go with 2 part since it seem you can have a little more control than with kalk. I want to setup a drip system using pvc pipe for containers and a keck registered ramp tubing clamp. I figure it could set it up to drip for 2 days before needing a refill assuming the tubing clamp can get a nice slow drip. I also want to dilute the 2 part even further than already done to make it easier to drip. Is there any reason this won't work. I was told on another board that it won't be reliable or consistent and I need a litermeter 3 pump.

It will be fine, just keep an eye on your levels each week and adjust accordingly. Reason someone might say that it won't be consistent is because with the ramp type tubing clamps you have the possibility for buildup where the tubing gets pinched.

I second Snowboarda42. Alot of people try medical I.V. drip bags which clog terribly.

You also have to consider your top off water consumption. If your diluting it past the point of your needed top off amount you will affect your salinity or you wont be able to get all of the 2 part you need in. But one of the two will suffer.

Dripping two part works fine as long as you have a low demand. Once your demand gets higher it can be a real pain to get a good consistant dose without bouncing up and down.
It should work fine until your tank matures and gives you the time to explore other means of dosing.

Don

If I can drip it over all day . That should prevent any bouncing.

Not that simple. The drip will slow as the container empties. If you use an air tight container you can control the container vent rather than the drip tube. This way it wont plug up and you get a constant drip rate from full to empty.

Don

Back