DSB w vs w/o Plenum

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mine is also a barebottom, I think im becoming a little ocd with the cleaning....lol I guess i figure not to let it hang around too long or it will build to some form of nasty. thanks for the help

Do you think raising our live rock off the substrait, would help substantially with flow for our live rock and live sand? I like a dsb myself, so am thinking if I can raise my rock off the sand itself, perhaps using pvc plumbing pipes, with a few holes drilled into the sides of them, it could really help with flow for my rock and sand? Of course I would have to be sure not to drill to many holes into the pipe, for fear of it not supporting the weight of the rock, but in doing so, do you think they could be another good housing for pods, with enough flow to not go anerobic, or do you think the effort involved would not really be worth the hastle of breaking down the tank and resetting it up to do so?

I am a fan of (properly maintained) DSBs myself... and I do recommend/insist on good flow around all reef structures (DSB, bare bottom and everything in between).

Please build all rockscapes off of the walls by at least 4" (6-8" better). Never lean a rockscape against any wall of the aquarium... this severely restricts water flow and leads to nutrient accumulation in time.

I also like to found the rockscpe on a few stable cornerstone pieces and build from there to minimize the amount of rock laying on the bottom of the aquarium (again, DSB or BB, alike). It reduces the accumulation of detritus over time.

And always... maintain good water flow to facilitate this.

so, do you think bothering to build a pipe support structure, kind of like dock planks, to suspend my rock 1/4 to 1/4" off the sand would be substantially benifitial to flow and keeping those unwanted particles in suspension? If it were any higher than that I don't think I could hide the pvc...which would look ugly in my opinion.. I'd like to make my tank not only funtion better, but also look more natural.

no worries... you can play it close to the vest, so to speak. Even a slight gap ude the structure will be fine as long as you direct enought water flow under it.

Back