Dual Skimmers?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

No. I'm back to just the EuroReef. I had the AquaC 180 up for quite awhile, then it quit producing any skimmate. I took it down to check over, and set up an old AquaC 150 I had in the basement in the interim, but it didn't produce any skimmate either. Both skimmers were checked for anything that may have hindered skimmate production, but nothing was found. I ended up back with the Euroreef only, and it is producing nasty stuff. I'm not sure if the problem was the skimmers were outcompeteing each other, or what :confused:, whatever the reason it didn't work out for me. If I get my hands on a smaller model, then I might try again.

On a side note, there is a local reefer here with a huge system. He runs 2 very large ER recircs side by side, and the sight of the amount of skimmate in both skimmers was unbelieveable.

Thanks,
I'm considering this. There are alot of differnt opinions out here. The latest thing I heard was that they should be identicle skimmers with the same amount of flow. My thinking was to run one dry and one wet. I guess I'll order up another g3 and see what happens.

Thanks
Don

is your sump big enough for two??? mine would just be full of skimmers if i tried using two!!!!LOL

Im sure if I try hard enough I could shoe horn three in there, I think two is plenty.
that's hilarious...there wouldn't even be any room for water, but it would be funny...i have a 55g sump..i wouldn't want two skimmers in there..i guess it would hold it, but it would be very crowded in mine!!

Thanks,
I'm considering this. There are alot of differnt opinions out here. The latest thing I heard was that they should be identicle skimmers with the same amount of flow. My thinking was to run one dry and one wet. I guess I'll order up another g3 and see what happens.

Thanks
Don

That may be the reason mine didn't work out, and the reason the local reefer here has success running two. My skimmers were of completely different designs, and the guy I posted about has two of the exact same models. His seemed to work fine, with no problems.

I'll be interested in your results!

Im sure if I try hard enough I could shoe horn three in there, I think two is plenty.

Don

ROFL - I could squeeze a third in mine, too :D.

Isn't bad to skim the water to the point where theres almost no nutrients in the tank? What do the corals eat then?

Isn't bad to skim the water to the point where theres almost no nutrients in the tank? What do the corals eat then?

This is certainly a debatable subject. I really don't think you can skim all the nutrients out of a tank, but as for corals utilizing the available nutrients left over and the coral's health?...For me, I'd say it really depends on what types of corals you are keeping and how much energy they receive from photosynthesis compared to how much extra they need to take in. I'm not sure if that makes sense. But, I hope it helps.

I agree with Don... its just not likely if even possible with a skimmer alone. DOs are an always uphill battle for the life of the system

Back