Dual Sumps in a 125G?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wizbang

Hi All -

I am about to start assembling all of the parts to my new 125G Acrylic w/ dual overflows.

My wife was asking "Why not use 2 20g sumps as opposed to 1 29g sump? That way if there is a problem on one side, we still have the 2nd running to do its job."

So I bring the question to the fine folks of RF.

My thoughts are - 1 sump for skimmer/heater/carbon/etc., and 1 sump/ fuge for LR, LS and Macro Algae. Separate overflow drains and separate return pumps.

Is there anything wrong with 2 sumps? Is there any real benefit?

Thanks,

Don

nothing wrong with that.. alot of people have a sump and a seperate fuge.....i don't really think that there are any benefits to having two sumps, exept maybe a little more water volume in your case..

If they are not tied together your going to have a flood and burned up pumps.

Don

I think your adding to the equation of mechanical problems, why not use one 60g sump & be done with it?

How so? If each sump is capable of handling 1/2 the overflow in case of a power/pump failure?

Don

Picture this. You have two 20g sumps ,1 overflow feed one sump and 1 feeds the other, each sump has its own return pump. Now the therory is each one will fow equally assuming both the pumps have absolute identical and plumbing is identical. Probably not going to happen because no two pumps are going to flow the same amount. If you get lucky and get past that issue.

Now lets assume that the left pump died while your at work. The right pump keeps going. The water is going to continue to drain back to the both sumps until the left sump is over flowing. Now the right sump is low and the pump is burnning up because there is no water.

Then the heater in that sump turns on because ambient temp is less than the desired tank temp. The heater now overheats and explodes if its glass if its titanium it just got hot enough to meltdown. If your skimmer happens to be in that sump its pump is also toast.

Its not going to be pretty.
Don

Egads! Hadn't thought about a single pump failure.

I am so glad there are people smarter than me - or at least with much more experience than me...

Thanks, Don!

Picture this. You have two 20g sumps ,1 overflow feed one sump and 1 feeds the other, each sump has its own return pump. Now the therory is each one will fow equally assuming both the pumps have absolute identical and plumbing is identical. Probably not going to happen because no two pumps are going to flow the same amount. If you get lucky and get past that issue.

Now lets assume that the left pump died while your at work. The right pump keeps going. The water is going to continue to drain back to the both sumps until the left sump is over flowing. Now the right sump is low and the pump is burnning up because there is no water.

Then the heater in that sump turns on because ambient temp is less than the desired tank temp. The heater now overheats and explodes if its glass if its titanium it just got hot enough to meltdown. If your skimmer happens to be in that sump its pump is also toast.

Its not going to be pretty.
Don

That would be concidered tying the sumps together and is doable.
Thanks. Now how about feeding two pumps with two sumps, assuming that each sump feeds both pumps? Still tied together and doable?

Thanks. Now how about feeding two pumps with two sumps, assuming that each sump feeds both pumps? Still tied together and doable?

As long as there is a bulhead connecting the two sumps together that can handle the flow of both pumps its doable. Porbably not worth it but doable.

Don

I was thinking about one bulkhead from each sump with 4 Y adapters and flexible hose to tie it all together... but your right, it may just be a wasted effort.

Back