dumb question? how to get water into your sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

speedyrb29

i have a plan for a sump and im goin to use a submerable pump to get the water out of the sump and back into the tank but how do u get the water to go into the sump if it is located under the tank, and if the tank is not drilled?

Most folks use an external over flow. If you go to our Equipment gallery (button on top) you can get a peek at what they look like

Mike

CPR hang on tank overflows work however they require a smal re-circ ump to keep the psyphon going. I used a 600 gal per hr CPR for about 8 months and had 3 near tragedies with the recirc pump clogging, or debris clogging the recirc inlet.

I reccomend spending a little more money for the models that do not require the recirc pump. I believe it was lifereef.com that had a very reliable design. (They are also called pre-filter psyphon boxes)

I have lifereef and no problem ever since 2002. I dont also have the aqualifter to keep it going, and or even brownouts... Just use it to prime it after cleaning and thats it.

WoW, ive been gatherin info on RF for a few months and never even heard of this lifereef, everyone said CPR if you HAVE to have an overflow, i just got done readin lifereefs product summary and it sounds pretty good, love this hobby! And Ketchup, do you have the single or double box?

i got one with my wet/dry, pro clear aquatics, and it uses the U tube and you dont have to worry about anything with that. also make sure your intake has a diffusior inlet so you dont syphon more unwanted water in the sump when your pump shuts off.

I think its time to change my name.... ha ha ha ha

I have single U-tube... on a 500 gph pump....

Its very important to match your U-tube to your return pump.

The single lifereef ovf's are rated @700gph. You need to match the return pump to that.
Scott

ok thanks i got it now. can the return pump be made into like a power head to help with circulation, like is there somthing you could put on the end of the return tube to make it a power head?

Yes...

In my case, since i have BB. I direct it going down straight to bottom so the detritus will not accumulate.

speedyrb29 said:
ok thanks i got it now. can the return pump be made into like a power head to help with circulation, like is there somthing you could put on the end of the return tube to make it a power head?

Jiddy said:
What OVERFLOW do you rec for a 90g guys?

If you can put two individual overflows, then it will be safer because of redundancy...

Also, if you try to max the rated gph per overflow there is a big chance that it will create a lot of noise.

Back