dumb question....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jonathan G.

when you thaw out food for your fish do you do it with freshwater or saltwater? also how long can it sit out for before its considered no good? like if i thaw half a cube in the morning and feed them sparingly throughout the day it wont go bad right?

you can do it with either, after 3 hours I would not use it anymore. Make sure whatever water you use that you dont put the thaw water in the tank.

Mike

I thaw it in whichever tank water I'm going to use. While whatever tap water you use is going to have a minuscule amount of chemicals in it, it's just easier to avoid using the tap.

If you're not using a whole cube each feeding just use a pair of kitchen scissors, or a knife to cut the cube into chunks (or half if you can.) Put those chunks into a small resealable container and back into the freezer. You can then thaw what you need on demand.

mojoreef said:
you can do it with either, after 3 hours I would not use it anymore. Make sure whatever water you use that you dont put the thaw water in the tank.

Mike

so how do you seperate the thaw water and the food? and why is it bad to put the water in the tank?

The thaw water will still have some of the pack juices that the frozen foods were made with. These pack juices are said to be full of phosphates witch is one additive you should be trying to minimize introducing to your system. (micro algae’s love it!)

When feeding thawed frozen foods, I change out the water that the foods are thawing in with a fresh batch of water a few times. Usually the frozen food will sink to the bottom of what ever container you’re using, and you can pour off the top water and add fresh water to dilute the amount of pack juices. When I feed, I use a small syringe with a piece of ridged airline tubing attached to it so I can target feed and have better control on the amount that I’m feeding.
hth

Back