Dumping saltwater in septic system?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Slickdonkey

Drink me
Does anyone know the long-term impact of dumping saltwater into my septic system? It seems like maybe I should avoid this if possible and dump my wastewater in the ditch instead.

It will kill the bacteria that are there to break down the waste. I'd find another method of disposal or you will be calling the septic pump guy sooner that you want.

I really hate to jix myself, but I have been dumping saltwater into my septic system in the house I live in for 13 years now. However it is not straight saltwater that is going down the sink drain. It is mixed with freshwater using a python drain and fill hose. So whatever the % of saltwater and % of freshwater that is going down the drain hasn't seemed to hurt anything yet.
I have talked to a number of people that have said that the lenght of time since the septic tank was pumped is long overdue, but they also said because of the volume of water that is going through the system is keeping the solid waste down.
Having said this publicly, I will most likely find a bad smelling water puddle in my lawn tomorrow.:(

I forgot to mention that this is with approx. 150-170 gallons of water change per month with a 180, 135, 40 and a 20 gallon tanks.

Just out of curiosity...if you hook it up to your gutter does that lead underground or just out onto the ground. If it goes just to the ground won't that kill the grass.

I just put in a new septic and that was one of the 1st questions I asked them.. The guy said it will not hurt anything. He said the worst thing for septic is hot tubs and chlorine.. The salt wont hurt anything , it will be so diluted.

Well maybe I ought to call around a few places and see what the consensus is. It would sure be a lot more convenient to hook my wastewater right into the drain.

Please post here if you get some more information? This could be useful to know in the future. =)

-Dylan

Since I have always a had a small nitrate issue, it accually make my lawn grow better. The back yard and dog small a little bit like the ocean now though.

Back