Durso's Way to loud! how to dial in?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefferMan

Fish out of water
I have 2 1 1/2 drains in my overflow box's with durso's. On one side of the tank (the furthest side away from the sump drain) the durso is nice and quiet, but on the closest side it seems to be sucking the water in as fast as the water goes in. I tryed lowering and raising the durso as to elliminate the sound but to no accord. What should i do? keep choppin down the drain pipe? drill a larger hole in the top cap? pictures to come! Thanks all and happy reeffin!:)

dialing in two dursos can be difficult. The key is, everything has to be dialed in on one side before adjusting the other - so you are half way there. If the one side is quiet, try to not adjust that one and focus only on the second one.

Try and make sure the pipe is the same height and to start with, the hole in the top should be small. It sounds like either (1) the pipe is too tall, or at least taller than the other side (2) or more likely, the hole in the top is too large. If the water empties out too quickly, it is probably the top cap. To test it out without starting over with the cap, plug it part way with something for a few minutes, if it settles out, that is the issue.

the hole in the cap is 1/16 or smaller, and it seems to empty faster with the hole plugged. I know that sounds funny but its true. When i losen the cap to where theres more air going in, it slows it down. Hmm ill get some pix for ya.

the hole in the cap is 1/16 or smaller, and it seems to empty faster with the hole plugged. I know that sounds funny but its true. When i losen the cap to where theres more air going in, it slows it down. Hmm ill get some pix for ya.

Do you have both of these connected together going into the sump?

Don

The drains are separate, the left side is great! the right? Hmmm loud! i dont have enough sound material... lol

Could you orient us to the pictures? It is a mess of PVC and I can't tell what is drain, what is return and what is closed loop.

First pic is the CL, next is the right durso top view, then third is the plumin on the left side large for the drain and 1' for the return, next is the right side drain and return, the other is the return pump

I have a 210 that did the same thing. I used pipe reducers to reduce the line that was making the noise. The reducers are located at the end of the pipe that drains to the sump. I reduced from 1 1/4 inch to 1 inch. The system is now quiet.

Reeferdude, I don't see holes in that cap for the Durso, yo might just need to make them bigger If you do have some in it. You have to allow air to make it work, just like in a house plumbing.

He does have holes, but they're really small. I asked him to make them bigger too, but what do I know? I'm just the wife and I've never made a durso before, but I've seen pictures.

He does have holes, but they're really small. I asked him to make them bigger too, but what do I know? I'm just the wife and I've never made a durso before, but I've seen pictures.

Reeferman, your one lucky Kat!
Your Wife has good advise, make bigger holes, worst thing could happen it would have to be replaced, or maybe it will stop gurgling because It can get enough air into it!!:lol: Start with one hole, either 1/8th or whatever is the next size up, add holes until it get quite!

Back