Dwarf angels...are they compatible?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

J-dog

I'm thinking about adding another dwarf angel into my tank and wanted to know everyone's opinion on having 2 (I have a 65 gallon tank)? I've heard people say that they have multiple angels without a problem and I've heard the exact opposite from others. I'm not sure if I should risk it or not.....help! I have currently have a Flame angel

IMO, getting two in a 65g tank is asking for trouble. I would just have one.

The more assertive DAs will not easily get along. However, two of the lesser assertive ones will work in the 65 IF it is landscaped properly. What drives their aggressiveness is line of sight. A landscaped 65 with two distinct areas where a fish in one area is not in the line of sight of the fish in the other will work out. One of the least assertive of the DAs is the Chaetodontoplus mesoleucus. It would go well with, for instance, a smaller Centropyge bicolor introduced last. The final thing is (and out of your control) the temperment of the individual fish.

I'd venture to say that the best reply would be 'it depends.' In general the more assertive DAs will not do in the 65 without taking many precautions and a bit of luck (in getting fishes with a tolerant personality).

2 in a 125 a no no? Have some issues I am trying to work through with the tank but doing some planning for the future.

Depends what you want to add. Flames are middle of the road. You would need to add something that is more aggressive, like a Potters, or ? I have had several in a 150, and my next tank, a 360+ will have many. I will have to feed several times a day, and have many zones in the scape. My faves are the African Flameback and Cherub. But the Asfur will be the centerpiece for this tank. (not a dwarf angel)

Back