Dying xenia

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cookie

cat
I am thinking that my xenia is dying. They stem looks shrivled and it is falling over. I have had is several months and the tank has been set up for many months. I recently added yellow star polyps. I have torch, frog spawn, a LTA anemone, brain coral plagyata, and green star. The xenia is the oldest out of all of them and just took a turn for the worst. All params look good and have done regular water changes. My salinity was 1.026 for a few days ut I usually keep it at 1.024. If my xenia is dying, what is the best thing to do? Should I see if it will stick it out and make a come back or should I remove it. I am fearful that it will start to affect everything else in my tank. Any thoughts???

I'm so sry to hear that cookie, I really couldn't tell you what to do, my exprience with xenia are good & bad. I have pom pom xenia that covers left,right of my tank [ i have a corner tank] and there thriving in my tank. On the other hand i purchased some silver xenia cuz i wanted a combo effect and they literatly shriveled in a few days. All my parameters were on point [ i like to keep my salinity on the higher end 1.o27 or 1.o28 ] so i jus figured i got a bad batch! so good luck i would jus try again there fairly cheap if you were close i would give you some!

I'm so sry to hear that cookie, I really couldn't tell you what to do, my exprience with xenia are good & bad. I have pom pom xenia that covers left,right of my tank [ i have a corner tank] and there thriving in my tank. On the other hand i purchased some silver xenia cuz i wanted a combo effect and they literatly shriveled in a few days. All my parameters were on point [ i like to keep my salinity on the higher end 1.o27 or 1.o28 ] so i jus figured i got a bad batch! so good luck i would jus try again there fairly cheap if you were close i would give you some!

Thanks...i have pom pom too and its totally thriving...I just dont get it. Sad day for me....I am a sad panda.

in my experience its hit or miss but luckily when they thrive they grown like weeds :D

If the colonies are large and dying, would start a cycle and hurt others. If you really like the stuff, do massive water change of PH, salinity, and Temp balanced saltwater. If you can do without it, remove it and give to a friend (or someone not quite the friend):rolleyes:

Glad to hear the other stuff is doing well. Hang in there, patience is the most important ingredient in this hobby. That and a LOT of money:badgrin:

have you checked your iodine levels. with more softies you will need to dose more and more iodine to keep them all healthy.

That could be the reason your torch could be stingin the crap out of them. I have frogspawns 3 inches away from my mushroom colony and every once an awhile ill see them stingin my shroomys, but they seem to be thriving and doing good even tho they get stung! I'm thinkin that xenia cant take stings like shrooms do and shrivel up and die! If it was me i start over cuz there cheap! Don't completely listen to me i'm no expert on xenia LoL but boy are they captivating on my aga!

Are the xenias bending over and attaching to rocks? I've seen the xenias do that to spread on rocks. It may be just trying to grow around the frog spawn. I was hoping on using my frog spawn to keep the pompom xenias in check so I'm very interested in how the xenias do.

Xenias should survive but I'd hate to have entire colonies melt... They come back from slime on rocks tho, so I wouldn't give up on them.

I am thinking that my xenia is dying. They stem looks shrivled and it is falling over. I have had is several months and the tank has been set up for many months. I recently added yellow star polyps. I have torch, frog spawn, a LTA anemone, brain coral plagyata, and green star. The xenia is the oldest out of all of them and just took a turn for the worst. All params look good and have done regular water changes. My salinity was 1.026 for a few days ut I usually keep it at 1.024. If my xenia is dying, what is the best thing to do? Should I see if it will stick it out and make a come back or should I remove it. I am fearful that it will start to affect everything else in my tank. Any thoughts???

IT OFFICIAL...some of my xenia has died. I touched it and sluffed right off the rock. Inside the stalk was a yellow tissue and it quickly spread all over my tank. I tried to get the big chunks out but I am so worried something bad is going to happen to my tank. Will this affect my chemical levels? When I scooped out the xenia, it smelled so terrible and I can smell that same smell over by my tank. I NEED HELP!!!! What should I do?

wow i have some that seems to be doing well and growing rapidly... i put it in high flow and now you can see the stalk growing branches.... i would be weary of it spreading in the tank... not to scare you but listen to above poster

That yellow stuff they put out does smell really bad. Do a water change to get that crap out. Generally if a xenia is doing poorly, it's because the ph has dropped. They don't like ph below 8.3. Xenia will come back fairly easily though. I've had some dropping the polyp head, which is a sign of stress, to the point where the stalk only had a coule polyps left and it still recovered.

That yellow stuff they put out does smell really bad. Do a water change to get that crap out. Generally if a xenia is doing poorly, it's because the ph has dropped. They don't like ph below 8.3. Xenia will come back fairly easily though. I've had some dropping the polyp head, which is a sign of stress, to the point where the stalk only had a coule polyps left and it still recovered.

Thanks. Do you have any suggestions as to how to keep my ph in better check?

Back