Easy Question on Overflow box installation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jrgilles

Hey guys, was wondering if I could query your collective minds on a simple overflow box plumbing question.

I had a CPR type overflow that is clogged and virtually uncleanable due to its design. I bought a Eshoppes U-tube style to replace it, as it will be infinately easy to clean algae out of. It arrives today

I think my previous overflow was installed with the bulkhead backwards. I had the bulkhead in the bottom with the threads aimed UP into the overflow box. This had the bulkhead nut inside the overflow reservoir in the box. I then used some PVC glue and glued the 1" drain pipe into the bulkhead. From all the pictures I have seen, this appears to be backwards (bulkhead is reversed) to all I have seen.

So, what is the best way to attach this new overflow box to my plumbing? I am a bit confused. If I put the bulkhead into the box with the threads aimed down like I see in the pictures online, how do I attach the drain pipe to it? It appears to me that if I glue it in, I will never be able to remove the overflow box without cutting the pipe (as the flangs is inside of the box. Is this how people do it? Then if I ever need to remove it, I just have to cut the PVC pipe off?

Or am I missing something? Is there a threaded compression fitting people use to attach the drain pipe to the bulkhead using the bulkhead threads?

Hope this makes sense. Seems like a simple question, just haven't been able to find a good answer in my google searching. Any advice would be most helpful.

rob

I found this on the comments on drfostersmith.com:

1" internal diameter rigid PVC pipe fits inside the bottom of the bulkhead. I didn't even have to cement mine in place, created a perfect seal from pressure alone. On the other end of my PVC I have a slip x barbed adapter and then 1" ID vinyl tubing to get the rest of the way to my sump.

Is this true? You don't even need to glue?

It is true. I have never glued mine. There is no pressure so you will not have water leaks. You will however get salt creep. But not bad.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

The important thing is that the gasket is on the correct side of the bulkhead to limit leaks. I have installed a few "backwards" with threads in for easy removal without cutting. You do have to make sure you have a situations where you could still tighten the nut.

I have tried the generic black bulkhead with treads and would not recomend. The threads make it easy to crack by overtighten. The exception is the heavy dootie grey ones. I like these because the threads have a place to mount a wrench.

I have tried the assemble dry no glue and it works (with some salt creep). My new favorite is gluing in a section of PVC (Say 1"OD) and then buying 1"ID vinyl tube. The tube slips over the pipe and you can use a hose clamp to seal. You can use any color but I like clear so that you can see what is going on.

-Paul

Back