Ecobak pellets and cyano?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

doug21

Hello everyone. I'm new to Reef Frontiers and need some help. I've got a 24 gal tank that has been set up for about three years. Do to an illness last fall i was not able to do any maintenance on the tank until Feb. of this year. It really got out of hand in a few short months. Mainly cyano took over. After months of vaccuming, manual removal, and untold water changes things are coming around. I still have a few places that the cyano just won't go away. Two months ago I started running BRS GFO to get the phosphate levels down. Today the levels were 0.08 phos and 20ppm nitrates. These levels just won't come down any more. I bought some Warner Marine Ecobak Pellets and another reactor last week and my question is can I start using them even though the cyano is still in the tank? Any and all help would be very much appreciated!!! The tank is all softies but i would like to try LPS and/or SPS when I get things back where they need to be. (Sorry for the long post, but you know...)

Fire them up, hopefully they will starve out your cyano fast. It does take a few weeks to see much difference once you start running the pellets. Ive been using them for a year now with great result. One thing you will need is a capable protein skimmer, and make sure the outflow from the reactor is aimed near the intake of the skimmer.

Thanks MGDMIRAGE. I'm gonna set them up tomorrow. I'll probably start out about 1/4 dose and slowly add more. I hope a Aqua C Remora will do the trick. Next thing i've got to get is a better skimmer. Thanks again for the quick response.:biggrin1:

Be VERY careful here. I would start off with 1/4 doze for starts, as you suggested also, to see what happens. If you get to carried away you could end up this some serious issues.

Yep take it like dosing, go slow and see how it goes. I love my pellets now, if the reactor gets clogged up i take the pellets out and rinse them out in RO/DI water and replace them.

Back