Ecotech Marine MP 40 questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Rhodes19

Hi All,

I have some questions about the MP 40. Does it do a better job at water flow than any of the other power heads out there? Does it push more water than other comparable power heads? Is it the wave action that the MP 40 makes that gives the tank a better flow and provide flow to all areas of the tank or is it just the amount of water it can push? Would 2 heads be required for a 180g sps dominated tank (eventually) or would one head be sufficient? I've read Ecotech Marine web site and seen that there are different wave forms that the MP 40 can do but I don't know what means for my tank, or should I say, I don't know how that would apply to my tank. Any information or experiences would greatly be appreciated. My only experience with power heads are with Koralia's and Sicce and I'm not really happy with Sicce. Thanks.

Chris

I love my vortech it pushes an impressive amount of water (more than any I have used which is most)and gives a clean look to the tank the only draw back I have found is the noise, if you run it at the top setting in constant mode it is kinda managable but if you run it in pulse mode it can get annoying. the vortech pushes a wide stream of water so not just a direct jet so the flow spreads out and reaches many areas. I have one in my 60 sps cube and can run it full out if wanted but usally 1/2 power I would think you would need at least 2 for a 180 sps dominated tank if this is your only means of flow besides return. I really like the pules mode ( besides the noise ) it gives a natural wave motion to the tank. They are expensive so maybe start with one and see how you like it.

I love my vortech it pushes an impressive amount of water (more than any I have used which is most)and gives a clean look to the tank the only draw back I have found is the noise, if you run it at the top setting in constant mode it is kinda managable but if you run it in pulse mode it can get annoying. the vortech pushes a wide stream of water so not just a direct jet so the flow spreads out and reaches many areas. I have one in my 60 sps cube and can run it full out if wanted but usally 1/2 power I would think you would need at least 2 for a 180 sps dominated tank if this is your only means of flow besides return. I really like the pules mode ( besides the noise ) it gives a natural wave motion to the tank. They are expensive so maybe start with one and see how you like it.

Hi WA coral,

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. How the flow works is starting to make some sense. I'll have to see if I can see one in person and see how loud it is. That is my wife's only complaint is the noise from some of my equipment (getting better). My flow at the moment is from a return pump (1100 gph), a Koralia 4 (1200 gph supposedly) and a Sicce 4 (1600 gph really don't like it). I definitely need more flow for a sps tank.

I would say that if noise is a issue, then you might want to reconsider.
I had 2 of the MP40ES and I absolutely loved the flow and controller that comes with them. The fact that you only had 1/2 of the pump in the tank and no power cords inside was huge IMO.
BUT, I didn't like the noise. It wasn't really that bad, but once I heard it, I couldn't ignore it.
I ended up trading mine for a pair of Tunze 6105's and a Tunze 7095 controller.
I'm extremely happy with the Tunzes, but kind of wish the Vortechs had been a little quieter. They were so cool.

I like my Tunze 6100's, I have them on the back corners of my 180 and I get tons of flow and they are also very quiet, not to mention cheaper than the MP 40.

Just my 2 cents :)

Thanks Jeff. I'll have to check out the Tunze web site. do they make wave action like the Vortechs?

funny....I am in the same boat. I have a MP40 ES I believe....or mod to gen 2 or something like that on my 60 cube with almost nothing in it at the moment....and I run it on Reefcrest at full throttle....anyway my only complaint is the noise. I am upgrading to a 3x3 cube and will try it in there before I decide on whether or not I am going to sell the Vortech.

I would say that if noise is a issue, then you might want to reconsider.
I had 2 of the MP40ES and I absolutely loved the flow and controller that comes with them. The fact that you only had 1/2 of the pump in the tank and no power cords inside was huge IMO.
BUT, I didn't like the noise. It wasn't really that bad, but once I heard it, I couldn't ignore it.
I ended up trading mine for a pair of Tunze 6105's and a Tunze 7095 controller.
I'm extremely happy with the Tunzes, but kind of wish the Vortechs had been a little quieter. They were so cool.

Hi mfinn,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I've come across some post that complain about the noise and vibrations, but like you, still liked the vortechs. I'll have to see if I can find some folks in the area who run the vortechs and tunzes so I can see how they compare and see how they sound. I guess I could always move my wife. LOL

I have two on opposite ends and love them. I use the reef crest mode and I dial back to 75% power and the noise is much reduced to the point it doesn't bother me in my living room. The flow is wide but powerful, better than the tunze IMO. Expensive yes and I would love to add more but you will definitely be happy with two! Quality and design is first class.

Was just reading a lot on vortec vs. tunze. Seems the noise issue with the vortech is less of an issue with the wES Gen2. Didn't look at the link for the noise fix.

Was debating between them. I think I'm opting for the mp40 after reading a lot of forum threads. A few big pluses are the small amount of tank real estate with the motors on the outside (I just have a 75g). Tunze are way bigger and uglier imo. Also, vortech allows expansion to add in a battery backup, so if the power goes out, the powerheads keep going. Seems like a nice option to have.

You can aim the tunze, which is cool. But, seems like the vortechs really don't need to be aimed because they push all the water down the tank (unlike cheaper powerheads that have a smaller blast radius)

Both seem to be great pumps though.

I'm going to watch the used forums and maybe get an mp40 and an mp10 or something if one comes up used.

Never owned either though, so might want to listen to some people who actually run them...

he makes is sound scarily easy....I am currently trying to find someone local to me that is confident that they could do this. I myself am not that mechanically inclined and would end up without a Vortech at all....

I hope that helps though.

I have two on opposite ends and love them. I use the reef crest mode and I dial back to 75% power and the noise is much reduced to the point it doesn't bother me in my living room. The flow is wide but powerful, better than the tunze IMO. Expensive yes and I would love to add more but you will definitely be happy with two! Quality and design is first class.

Thanks Mark, it sounds like most folks love their MP 40s. Definitely expensive but it sounds like they do so much more than just regular power heads. Thanks for the info. :)

he makes is sound scarily easy....I am currently trying to find someone local to me that is confident that they could do this. I myself am not that mechanically inclined and would end up without a Vortech at all....

I hope that helps though.

I'm fortunate enough to live near Frankie, now he has some repair skills! He tor apart his old chiller and rebuilt it and he just fixed a 220 V heater for me that I use in my green house. Thanks again for the thread. I may go that rout to same some $$.

Hi mfinn,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I've come across some post that complain about the noise and vibrations, but like you, still liked the vortechs. I'll have to see if I can find some folks in the area who run the vortechs and tunzes so I can see how they compare and see how they sound. I guess I could always move my wife. LOL

I saw the thread that has the mod to make them quieter. But I figure that when you spend $900 for a pair of them, they shouldn't have to be modded.
The Tunzes Turbelle Stream 6105's are considerably smaller than the other Tunzes. They are shaped like the smaller 6025's.
With the 7095 controller that I have, I have many options for flow and pulses that the Vortecs have.
After trying out both, I prefer the Tunzes.

I saw the thread that has the mod to make them quieter. But I figure that when you spend $900 for a pair of them, they shouldn't have to be modded.
The Tunzes Turbelle Stream 6105's are considerably smaller than the other Tunzes. They are shaped like the smaller 6025's.
With the 7095 controller that I have, I have many options for flow and pulses that the Vortecs have.
After trying out both, I prefer the Tunzes.

Hi mfinn,

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. Your spending a lot of money on the product, it should work as advertised. And, as money is an object, I will have plenty of time to look and research. :) Thanks.

Back