Eductor for skimmers?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dngspot

Has anyone have a link to one of these? I have seen threads on TRT but the pics are gone. The guys who have built them say they do better than the Beckett.

Along with posting the question, I have been searching the forums. I came across this image. The new question is do I need to scale it down to 1/2 inch to get it to work with a mag 9.5? I am also working on a design of my own and may try it out.
Thanks
attachment.jpeg

An eductor speeds up the water flow correct? Is the idea to better aerate the water? Also where is the air being injected? I am trying to picture this in my head. :)

After looking at the design of an eductor I would worry about it clogging without some serious prefiltering.

An eductor speeds up the water flow correct?

An eductor trades water velocity for water volume. High velocity becomes lower velocity but much more volume. So you need a high-pressure pump to provide the high velocity going into the eductor.

Ok cool! So where does the benefit come in for a skimmer? Increased volume and less velocity mixed with air = what? More air to water contact time or the ability to run a larger skimmer all together?

In a skimmer, the eductor is drawing in air, not water. Kind of like a super-venturi, but you need a much stronger pump than if you used a venturi.

I have not given up on this yet, the pump that I am going to use needs an impeller. Because the pump is not available in the USA I am getting the impellers from England. The pump is a Hailea HX-6550, it is similar to a Ocean Runner 6500. I own both and the Hailea seems to out perform the Ocean Runner. It uses a larger magnet and the impeller a larger diameter also. I have seen that Geof at the TRT is using a Mag 12 on his eductor skimmer and is getting fair to good performance with it, I am thinking the higher rated Hailea should do as well or better.

I am finally getting around to this.
I took a Geo Skimmer and made some changes to the down tube and the beckett housing. When I did this it made it easy to make modifications to the housing, with out permanently changing it. With 3 fittings it is made.
The beckett will set up a froth in the reaction tube that is incredible. The eductor/nozzle seems a little weak here but still is able to raise skimmate. The bubbles seem pretty small also. On thing that it will out shine the beckett is its need for cleaning. The eductor/nozzle will need very little. I will let it go for a bit and see what its skimmate production is.
I am calling it a nozzle because it is pretty close to a down draft system, less the bio balls.
I am pushing water into it with a Panworld 150 PS.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.
DSCF00065.JPG

I guess it is safe to say I am done with this. I have found a better nozzle. I posted this on RC

OMG, I modified a beckett and WOW! I filled the stock air intake holes in a beckett last night with epoxy. When I got home today I drilled 21-3/32 inch holes right at very top of the diameter of the original holes. I installed it in my Beckett housing and dang it looks like whip cream in my reaction chamber. I am running my water level just above at the point that the water comes in from, the pic will show this.
How I have been adjusting it is set my water level then slowly open the air until the bubbles in the reaction chamber start to get to big. I then back it off a little and adjust the water level for a dry or wet skimmate.
I am running the level as low as I ever have and the thing is pushing skimmate up like crazy. I guess I will have to reduce the air to adjust for my skimate now. No mater if I have the air completely open the bubbles are so small it looks like whip cream. My guess is that my skimmer is too small for the pump and optimized beckett.

In the first pic is my water level. From the bottom of the box to the top of the reaction chamber is 20 inches, from the top of the box to the top of the reaction chamber is 15 inches, from the top of the reaction chamber to the top of the riser spill over is 10 inches (includes intermittent tube and the spill over) and the reaction chamber has a 6 inch diameter. My pump is a Pan World 150PS.

DSCF0012.JPG

The next pic shows what happens in 2 minutes after I turn the air valve all of the way on.

DSCF00135.JPG

This pic is from a un modified beckett with the air valve 1/2 on. Also the starting water level was 3/4 high in the reaction chamber.

DSCF00113.JPG

The final pic is of the skimmer after 3 minutes with the air valve completely open.

DSCF00144.JPG

You guys are awsome.

Her is the link. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=958085

Back