Eggcrate tank covers.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LarryB

I have read in a couple places that using "eggcrate" material is a good covering for a reef tank. Keeps the fish from jumping, still lets the light in. Does anyone have any experience with that? Where do you purchase it?

why not get the lighting grids from like a Menards, Home Depot, etc? They're cheap and the squares are smaller.

lighting grids? Ok, now I think I know what your talking about. Can you set a CF fixture on top of them?

the lighting grids from HD is what most people refer to as egg crate. It comes in two different size holes and also comes in chrome finish. I have it on my tanks, it does help a lot with letting the heat out and keeping the fish in. But it does seem to block some of the light, well I dont think block is the right word, but reflect. The walls and ceiling around my tank are lit up much more when the crate is on. When I remove it for maintanance, the tank is slightly brigter(optical allusion due to darker walls?) and the shimmer lines are more noticable.

Note that it does not keep dartfish and similar in either- I've lost a couple of scissortail gobies though it over the years.

Zeph

Watch out if you are using MH lighting. I got a lamp too close and had the eggcrate start to melt. Luckily I was home to catch it or might have had a fire.
Scott

I've used the eggcrate for a year now on my 46g. Just upgraded to a 75g and went and bought a new piece. I use PC fixture directly on top with no problems. I have one jumper (Firefish) and he hasn't hit the carpet yet.

Teakie

I cut out every other section making larger holes to allow for more light but recently I took off the cover & would you know it after almost two years my Hippo jumped. So now I have an even better idea with the crate, I took the very same piece and removed the center, allowing all the light to come through. I have about 4" of crate in the back & 4" in the front on each side of the center brace, works great but still not fool proof. If necessary I can take a pic after work if someone reminds me later today.

Scooty ~
I would love to see a pic. I've just ugraded to a 75g and my new lights will be here on Friday. I'm using my old lights placed on top of a couple of strips of wood. I've yet to cut my new piece as I'm still in the 'decision making mode'... what's going where and how much of it I can get into my sump, etc.
Thanks,
Teakie

BTW, just joined this site. It was highly recommended in a poll on RC, which is where I spend most of my time.

I would recommend the plain white over the chrom coated egg crate. On ours the salt creep or spay is wearing the chrom plating off and the only place it could be going is into the tank. Not a good thing.

Rc

Scooty ~

RC didn't actually recommend you, it was an independent poll. No matter, it's what led me here and so far, I like what I've found. I've read some of Terry Bartelme's articles and also familiar with Anthony Calfo.

Look forward to seeing your pics this evening.
Teakie

MCSInc ~ I've used the white eggcrate for years. Sure it gets some salt build up, but I just take it out and squirt it with the hose. Plus it's half the $$ of the silver coated. I never thought about it corroding the plating and don't know if you could have sprayed it, prior to installing, with something or not.

I live in Florida and we don't have central H&A yet, so the eggcrate is a must for me.

Teakie

Back