Electricity problems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rudeanduncouth

Ghetto Engineer
I am getting ready to move again and I am concerned about having enough power for everything. The problem I have is I can't run everything on the same breaker. When I move I will be pushing 2025w at peak, which is about 18.4A, then shortly after I will be upgrading pumps and will be pushing 2230w, which is 20.3A. My concern is that I will be pushing too much for breakers and will blow them constantly. What I did in the past was run extension cords to different breakers which is dangerous, and I would prefer not to do it again. I had a problem with it getting hot once. I am renting so I can't really add more to it. Any thoughts?

First off how are you determining this wattage?
Without taking actual amp reading when everything is running I'm sure your using way less power but I don't know exactly what you have running so I can only assume. If you can't add breaker then you can buy some heavy duty 12ga extension cords to run off another breaker or redesign your system to use less power. Best way would be to reduce your power consumption but first I would want to know exactly how much your using on that circuit, also what else is on that circuit you need to consider?

I guess I was a bit vague. I am not absolutely positive on the amperage and the watts, but I am best guessing it. I gather the information from the documents I have. I have 3x400w PFO HQI ballasts, those actually pull more than I estimated, I have 2x160 VHO, according to the ballast it actually pulls 2 amps. I also have a mag 18, and two mag 12s that I am running.

To sum it up:

4.55A * 3= 13.65A
2.00A * 1= 2.00A
1.50A * 3= 4.50A

for a total of 20.15A. This is assuming peak output. I know with my MH ballast right about the time they warmed up they would blow the breaker. Any ideas where I can find a heavy duty extension cord like you talked about. In the past I tried to find a power strip that could handle more than 15A to no avail.

IAny ideas where I can find a heavy duty extension cord like you talked about. In the past I tried to find a power strip that could handle more than 15A to no avail.

Lowes or home depot would have the cord But I would first take a total amprage reading to see what you need. Dou you own a multimeter with an amp clamp? I am guessing no or you would have known the amps you are pulling

If a breaker is rated for 20 amps most of the time it will blow before it gets there, I know the feeling about renting and not being able to wire it right. You really only have two options, either downsize things running in your tank, or use extension cords. Moscow Building Supply has ones that will work, that is what I am using just make sure you get really heavy duty ones and they will be fine.

Tim

I guess I was a bit vague. I am not absolutely positive on the amperage and the watts, but I am best guessing it. I gather the information from the documents I have. I have 3x400w PFO HQI ballasts, those actually pull more than I estimated, I have 2x160 VHO, according to the ballast it actually pulls 2 amps. I also have a mag 18, and two mag 12s that I am running.

To sum it up:

4.55A * 3= 13.65A
2.00A * 1= 2.00A
1.50A * 3= 4.50A

for a total of 20.15A. This is assuming peak output. I know with my MH ballast right about the time they warmed up they would blow the breaker. Any ideas where I can find a heavy duty extension cord like you talked about. In the past I tried to find a power strip that could handle more than 15A to no avail.

Most of these are stating the IN-Rush Amperage, not the running power or amps. Regardless you shouldn't exceed %80 of the breaker rating. Explain to me why you need 3 400w mh lights? Unless your tank is over 24" deep it isn't necessary, you can save big time right there. It isn't easy to find but you can get the heavy duty 12 gauge cords, you can even get them with surge protection, if now you can make a 12 gauge extension with heavy duty parts & even GFCI on it. You can run the wire or cord in these cable trays to make it a neat job. Tell me what you got or plan & we ca safely help you.

Well, my tank is 24" deep. ::lol: I am not sure what you mean by cable tray? Why, I am not positive at this time whether I even need to do something (I have not moved yet, and haven't had time to check the electrical outlets and breakers), experience tell me that I will have a problem.

You can reduce the 400 watters to 250's save power & still grow anything you wish, no need for the extra power, more so if your using only one breaker. Cable tray holds wires cords ect. into a nice neat channel that conceals it, lt may match your trim moldings etc. just looks better for the wiring as protects it.

Replacing the ballast isn't something I will consider unless they stop working. I am rather partial to them also to the money I paid for them. I am also sure I will NEED them at some point.

A new outlet would be an option but I don't think I will have time to put one in, since the apartment is 3.5 hours away. Once I put the tank in I won't have much room to work, though I guess I could maybe put one in to the adjacent wall.

So probably the best option is to track down a 12 gauge extentsion cord. Also where you suggesting that I wire a GFCI unit on the end of the cord or what exactly?

You will need the ballast if you have plans on getting a bigger & deeper tank, yes I'd keep them. I would run the halides in a heavy duty 12 gauge extension cord, you have to really dig to find them but they do have them. I would consider either replacing the receptacle with a new GFCI receptacle or if you wish not to mess with the apartment at all then you can purchase these GFCI adapters that plug into these outlets, I would put anything that goes into water on a GFCI.

Back