Electrokate's 55 and 50

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Electrokate

Hi,
I have 2 tanks for the showcase though one is pretty primitive and I probably will aggravate some people with my unorthodox methods. I had a debacle with my last "big" tank, a 93.5 gallon acrylic job that looked and acted like a coffin. When I had it with that I swapped with Tony near me (tony2005) for his reef ready 55. He did a great job with the tank, really souped it up, then had to sell out due to too many hours of work and not enough to relax. Here was it's final glory in his hands:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14596
I hope he gets back into the hobby because he really did take great care of his critters. Perfectionists are needed but perfectionists are probably the most likely to quit right? I don't know if he was one but his tank was gorgeous.

So after the tank was taken down I split things up by compatibility and space. I decided coral and anemones are not ok together and that the gorgonian deserved halides since the 10K XM bulbs made it grow almost an inch a month. Wanted to put the clam in there as well but I got a potters angel which proved a nipper so it's still in the 55, where it gets PC and sunlight. The clam has been under PC for almost a year now and has extreme mantle extension to compensate but continues to grow. I moved it to the sunniest spot, it seems to be doing well but I'd sell it in a heartbeat to a better home. Or swap it for a return pump so I can put a sump on this tank.

The 50 is outfitted with a CPR skimmer, small HOT filter for runninng carbon, a seio and a maxijet 1200. Lighting is metal halide with 2 96 watt actinics that are not always on due to heat issues. I don't have a hood, that just never did get built... so the reflector and bulbs hang from a board above the tank. The result is much better temperature stability though on hot days it still gets pretty out of control, and on cool days the heaters can't seem to keep up for some reason.

Coral are the gorgonian, 3 RBTA's, a green plating monti frag, some xenia elongata, yellow polyps, star polyps, zoanthid frags, mushrooms, people eaters, discosoma neglecta and kenya tree corals. I intended it for RBTA propagation but since the RBTA's went on hiatus for a while I put a bunch of the frags I want to sell in there. Fishwise, this is the part I get beat up for... pair oscellaris, powder brown tang, potters angel, royal gramma. That's a lot for an underfiltered tank. There are also 2 cleaner shrimp and 8 or so hermits, a turbo snail, 4 or 5 astreas, a margarita or two, and a small aquacultured conch. I don't like to overstock snails and hermits, I think they just starve or kill eachother that way. The tank has tested zero on phosphates and nitrates every time and barely registered a blip of ammonia/nitrite during cycling. It has a small amount of black sand in the bottom, wanted a whole bed of it but the detritus really shows on that stuff plus the seio just makes a mess of it. So I siphon that out bit by bit during water changes. I have a sump for it but no pump, and it is not drilled. That is one of the long term projects. Since it's stable and all I am not in a big hurry. We might be moving anyways.

Susie's (tangee) husband built a great little stand for it and Marty (finn) helped as well plus gave me the seio with one of his awesome magnet mounts. I am happy with this tank, especially now that the clowns are getting "in the mood for love". The powder brown is an amazing fish, if you want one be sure to get the white face one not the one with a couple white spots on it's face. It's MAC/net caught which likely helped. I mostly buy from my friend's store in Portland where everything is MAC or CB and he would gladly order another if someone wants one.

I am doing some halide comparisons on the tank so will put photos of those up later. Here is my first try at using photobucket.
0806.jpg

It's not the prettiest tank ever, was really meant to be for propagating RBTA's but like I said I kind of got out of control :) Thanks to Marty as well for telling me how to get big pictures on this forum!

Last edited:
The 55 is more of a traditional system. I wanted a sand bed, sump, and in tank overflow instead of a J tube type. Also wanted greater flow and to keep the rocks from touching the sides and bottom. When I first set it up I was in a hurry but built some simple platforms from PVC pipe fittings and eggcrate tied with zip ties. Not pretty but it works. Also glued a few shelves for frags.
DSCF3586.jpg

I like things in 3's and was a little annoyed at how much space the overflow takes up but hey, it works. The shelves are supported in front by liverock to hide the structure, but they still showed. Took a while for the coralline to cover them and I wish I had broken up the lines of the eggcrate edges more to conceal them. The tang loves the new setup and scoots under the rocks and around the back. As you can see the tank is in a window, this faces west but is largely shaded by my neighbor's tall house and fence. Still it gets some sunbeams, which the coral tilt toward.
The tank has a 30 gallon sump made by Big T for Marty. He set this system up for maximum flow and helped a ton with things I don't understand in trade for some computer work by my boyfriend. The sump has a coralife superskimmer (which I hate), a central chamber stacked with chaeto, and the final 3rd is heaters and the return pump, plus a good spot to drip new aquisitions. Like the other this system always tests negative for nitrate and phosphate, and barely registered any ammonia/nitrite during cycling. Since the livesand was left outside in the weather for a month and then sieved in water from the garden hose I don't really understand why I didn't have more trouble, must have been the large chaeto ball and cycled liverock. Lighting is 2 96 watt TRU 50/50 PC bulbs, a 36" sun VHO and a 36" actinic VHO.
DSCF4870.jpg

Fish are one yellow tang, one bangai cardinal, one yellow head hi fin goby, one carberryi anthias, 2 chromis atripectoralis, and a mandarin. There is one peppermint shrimp and until a few days ago no snails. The tang was the sole source of algae control and grew fat. I did finally add some due to a strange green slime, it's like a crispy version of cyano. I suspect it is settled out greenwater and that the snails will clean it up, if not it will be very hard to find homes for all this coral! If we move to Hawaii I have to sell everything. I don't want to stick anyone with a cyano infestation. I got it off a free frag. Nothing is ever really free is it?

Last edited:
Wow! That one is really nice Kate! When I looked at the first shot I was like, "What is she doing" :rolleyes: but the final product speaks for itself! You will have tons of people trying that out now:p

Thanks Krish! I love reading your thread... except that part about the jellyfish and fire coral. I hear ya on the tight clothing, I hate clothes. One of the selling points to living in the tropics is the lack of shoes which I especially hate, plus long pants. I like minimalist loose dresses, which I suppose are not your thing.
:)
I think I will have to get one of those thin wetsuits since I also can't stand cold water, and to me 72 degrees is cold. We went snorkeling in Mexico and the water was 74, I had to get out before anyone else despite borrowing a wetsuit. Guess I am a wuss. I also kept swimming into jellyfish because of my lousy vision and not noticing til they were wound around my fingers. Snorkeling in Hawaii is going to be interesting. I can't hear or see real well. Not allowed to scuba due to asthma.

I am having a lot of trouble taking photos of my tanks, don't know why since the camera used to work but as I said I have dropped it a few times. Macros come out better so here are some of the 55...
DSCF4984.jpg

Palau green nephthea:
DSCF4920.jpg

That one can be bright green if you have a lot of actinics, but I don't.

Montipora confusa:
DSCF4977.jpg

This one also should be bright green but I had it in a nano for a while for quarantine where it only had one very old pc bulb for light. Sometimes it looks like it will have a purple rim and highlights. I hope the color comes back! I read it's really expensive which is kind of odd.

Metallic blue palythoa:
DSCF4856.jpg

This rock also has a small scallop which has been alive in my tanks for a couple years now.

This zoanthid was on the base of a hydnaphora colony I bought from another RF member. They were purple with green skirts when I got them out of his VHO lit tank but under PC they lost most of their color. I have another set like them with tangerine mouths. Hope they all color up!
DSCF4852.jpg

This is my most successful zo colony. Bought them in Portland at Upscales for 15 bucks. They were in a tank lit only by actinics and were very teal with peach centers and orange fringe. Not so in my tank til I added VHO! When under PC only they are brown, but they sure do grow so I shouldn't complain.
DSCF4850100K.jpg

ROFL!! No skirts here:p I'm really loving your tank Kate...I need to get some colors in mine like you have!;)

Ok, here is the last of the day and then I have to go do laundry :( I hate laundry...

Green polyp sarcophyton:
DSCF4447.jpg

Giant clam:
DSCF4412.jpg

Palau green nephthya with actinics:
DSCF4915.jpg

zoanthids in 3 colors:
DSCF4848.jpg

Green tip frogspawn:
DSCF3853.jpg

Not sure what this one is. Usually is sky blue with plum near the base of the branches but under lousy bulbs will turn beige like a kenya:
DSCF4699.jpg

Thanks Marty. I have a sucky camera so have to take 10 pictures to get one that is halfway decent :)
Here are some more...

Pocillopora damicornis pink-I am not a huge sps person but I love these, green hydnaphora, and montiporas. Wish this was more pink less brown :)
DSCF5154.jpg

Pocillopora damicornis with purple tips:
DSCF5152.jpg

I also have a few LPS in the tank:
DSCF5151.jpg

DSCF5159.jpg

And Ilham's (Elmo18) fabulous orange monti cap which is finally starting to whorl:
DSCF5156.jpg

Here is a sarcophyton I need to get rid of, they get too big!:
DSCF5164.jpg

And another from Marty-this is a good leather for the foreground as it never gets too big. When open it's mostly pink, when closed looks lavender to purple. Either way is good:
DSCF5162.jpg

I love it Kate! Finally! Somebody with some coralline on their glass. My back is covered. I've asked on a couple of threads if "I'm the only one that likes coralline?", but no response. So, I don't know if its good or bad. I like it so I guess that means "it's good!"

Later
BJ

wwouu i don't know how i missed this but Kate, you got some very kewl corals :) :D .
you're doing a great job girl !!

Thanks for the compliments! The tank kind of looks like a big nano, I have never bought big colonies of anything. It makes it a bit crowded but I like the look, and I like all the tiny things as well like bryzoans, fire corals, and myriad other tiny critters that coat the rocks. The biggest soft coral in there is from Marty, all the best stuff. He has a great tank.

Yesterday most of the coraline fell off the glass when I bumped it during a water change, trying to siphon algae out. I didn't put any snails in there, had just one fat yellow tang. Then I got this weird crunchy bubbly bright green "cyano" which I think is actually settled out greenwater. The green stuff smothers and kills coraline. I put a few snails in there last week, am looking for one that will eat it. None of them seem to like it too much, but haven't tried a conch yet.

I think the coraline is great on the rocks, don't like it on my acrylic aquariums much. I used a product that accelerates it's growth and also bought liverock straight off the plane when it was still purple, then put it in my tank to cycle. Risky because you get hitchhikers that way, but I was viewing it as decor instead of the base for my coral and the primary source of filtration. Got a few nice plants that way as well. After seeing all the nasty critters that have hitchhiked into friends' tanks and all the nocturnal snails I have I feel pretty lucky I didn't hose my tank with nudibranchs, crabs and coral eating snails. In the future I will cycle my liverock in quarantine!
Kate

55 is back

My 55 is back and thriving thanks to Susie and Josh, who held the tank while I was in Hawaii. Josh got out of the hobby and Susie came to the rescue, taking my tank home for many months til I could come get it, and I owe her bigtime! Can't wait to help her set up her new huge tank either.
1201588706_normal.JPG

Ok, it does not look so impressive in that picture :)
Closeups are much better.
1202674973_normal.JPG
1201588830_normal.JPG
1202675401_normal.JPG
1201588764_normal.JPG

Recharging camera...

Back