Elegance Coral Reproduction

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Palancar

Our Indo Elegance Coral has just thrown off a baby. The baby has been attached by flesh for the past 2 to 3 weeks; its hard skeleton is about 1/2" high, 1/2" wide and 1/4" thick. I went ahead and mounted it on a frag disk since we do not want to lose it in the vat. We were pretty excited when we saw the protrusion on the mother colony's skeleton. We got the mother colony not long after Hurricane Rita came through our area. Here are some pictures, overhead and through the glass. I will take some more once it inflates.

DSC_0860.jpg

DSC_0861.jpg

That's sweet. My elegance spun off about 7 babies in total...this was back in the early 90's. The babies "dripped" off of the end and out of the shell/skeleton. As they spun around the bottom of the tank they developed a quarter sized shell/skeleton of their own and I sold them to my friends.

Sure was cool to watch and something I wish we could all replicate. I do have a few pictures but they are buried deep in the "shoe box" somewhere.

Congrats on the elegance young one.

That's sweet. My elegance spun off about 7 babies in total...this was back in the early 90's. The babies "dripped" off of the end and out of the shell/skeleton. As they spun around the bottom of the tank they developed a quarter sized shell/skeleton of their own and I sold them to my friends.

Sure was cool to watch and something I wish we could all replicate. I do have a few pictures but they are buried deep in the "shoe box" somewhere.

Congrats on the elegance young one.

Thanks all. If you run across the photo please post them. My wife and I would love to see them. I checked it out before I left for work this morning and it is starting to inflate nicely.

very impressive. Even more so with it being an indo colony, they dont seem to do well around here. The only ones that seem to survive are the aussie's.

Tom

Very nice!!

How old is the new Elegence, and how long have you had the mother colony in your care?

Nick

The baby is right at 3 months, we bought the mother colony in the Feb of 2006 after Hurricane Rita put a hurtn on us.

That's good growth for three months...how often are you feeding it?

Nick

I have yet to really spot feed it. The spot where I have it placed in the vat it gets about two hours of strong indirect sunlight per day. Now I do broad cast feed our corals once a week with a variety of foods for filter feeders.

I have an (almost) identical elegance in my tank. It was a single polyp about the same as yours is now, In a years time its grown to the size of a large grapefruit with much the same feeding regime.

Interesting...

I've got two Elegence corals. One I've had for over a year, (Oct 15th 2008) and the other I've had since Oct 18th of this year.
The first one was doing spectacularly until it was burned badly by a Long Tentacle Anemone, (M.doreensis). It bleached horribly, and I almost lost it. I was able to rescue it by putting it into a shaded area and feeding it heavily, but it still doesnt look anywhere near as nice as it used to. Its now able to be directly under the lighting w/ no ill effects.

The other I believe to be a deepwater Elegence because it reacted badly when placed directly under an older 175 watt Hamilton 14k bulb, (tentacles shortened dramatically, oral/dorsal tissues began to swell, generally looked really unhappy). I moved it to a shady area and am feeding it fairly heavily. The tentacles are lengthening, and the oral disc/dorsal surfaces have gone back to normal...

I noticed that feeding them bits of shrimp and scallop caused the tentacles to lenghthen and regrow nematocysts, (become sticky) again. I've been feeding them 2 times a week.

Nick

Back