Elegance

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seismic

Balaenoptera musculus
Hi all, heres a pic of both my elegance side by side. Need some advice if they are ok. They look fine when the lights are on, but when the lights are out, I noticed that the yellow has got about 2cm of tissue not attached to the skeleton. Is this ok ??

pict0114qt2.jpg

they look fine but if u say flesh is off the skeleton this could procced even further and have polyop bail out.
cause of this could be nitrate phosphate levels more likely to be low dkh and then also high currents
cataphyillias are collected from silty lagoon bottoms or under boat ramps lol they dont expierence high water flow like sps do and if ur keepng both and have high water currents this could be a problem
wish u the best of luck in your endevours

LPS often bail from their skeletons from attrition. Most folks do not target feed these corals near daily like they need. Whats worse... the less you feed them, the more they "grow" (polyp extension) in an attempt to capture more light to compensate for the lack of food. The stretching also increases the surface area with hope to catch more plankton.

Most newbiews would look at these pics and see "healthy" corals... I see overextended corals that - even if they get fed daily - probably are not getting enough light (hence the overextension)

FWIW

I have both sps and lps and the flow is quite strong as well. I will try to move them to a higher location, closer to the lights.

Thanx for the advice guys!

Isn't elegance coral one of the "easy to die within a month" coral these days due to virus/collection area/etc... This only applies to the Indonesian ones, Australia ones seems to be fine and do not suffer the same fate.

Wondering if it is collected locally in Malaysia or not.

Because in Canada, the ones we got (almost exclusively) from Indonesia, 90% of them die within the first month. It was not like that 5 years ago.

The newly imported Australian ones live no problem also.

well u better buy ur aussie ones quick boys because end of the year theres a totall band on collecting cataphyillias so u can kiss those sweet aussie ones good buy

as for feeding coral i have found that most lps love sea scallops and i do feed regualy

i dont know if having the coral closer to the light will help ur problem with the high water flow u have might damage the coral even more so i would say keep it where it is and start feeding a mix of brine shrimp and othere felshy invert
best of luck

Im really not sure if it was collected in Malaysia, but most of the stocks we see in Malaysia is either from the Philippines or Indonesia. I was never told if anything was from Malaysia.

Morgan, do you have a picture of your elegance you can post here ?

i havent had an elegance for awhile as they are expensive i had a puprle tipped one from the barrier reef he was only small and i was new to the hobby and made some bad newbie mistakes and lost it to polyp bail out guessing from the size of urs they would set me back 60 bucks althouth no offences to ur corals but the catys i see are a more virbrant colour

as for vaporize the aussie doller buys 80c american at the moment so i dont know how close that is to candian american exchange? u tell me

as for bans on corals im not sure but i know catys are one of them

at the moment im applying for an aquaculter licenecs so i can start a coral farm business this would not involve ocean plots but sun tanks as its cheaper and a couple guys have applyed for ocean plots and i think i will have a better chance getting one if im not rapeing the ocean of coral so u may get sum corals off me in the years to cum u never know

the reason why catys are being banned from collection as they are on the endagered speices list in aust i think sum fish will end up on it to as for corals i dont know but i think they will slowly start banning lots of stuff

as with shipping to the states to my knowledge there is only one person in australia who holds a licences to ship inverts over seas and they cost big bucks
sorry if this is a bit rag tag and all but vapy emailed me and i though it would be better to place this here for everyones reading value

my only other comments is i heard in america u pay per polyp for acans?? cause the one i have i payed 25 bucks for and if it was per polyp and a polyp was $35(this is what i heard not sure) my acan would equate to 1540 and even if it was only $10 a polyp it would have been 400 bucks screw that man i wouldnt pay that for any coral are torch corals per head aswell?? cause they are so cheap here i would hate to hear ur getting ripped off on them
so sorry for long post happy to chat anytime as u can see :D

I got both for about usd30 each. I asked where they came from but the shopkeeper was not sure. Im suspecting its Indonesian. We dont get any Oz stock here, it would be too expensive as well. We get some Fijian stuff once a blue moon.

I just checked the yellow one just now, and it looks like theres not much tissue thats not attached to the skeleton now, in fact it looks better than the first time I saw it. Can these catys recover...ie reattach themselves to the skeletons ?

quiet possible if it dose cum all the way off u can save the polyp and hope it regrows a new skeleton can we see sum more pics
did u check ur dkh?

Thanks Morgan for the info. :) I would love to get some aussie corals from you later when you have the aquaculture facilities up and running.

Btw, do you know if any clownfish will be on the banned list?

The Aussie acans we see here are around $350 - 700 per colony depending on the colouration. That is like about 20-30 polyps each. And there are frag shops that will re-sell for $30 - $50 a polyp acan, so what you heard is right. Americans will be willing to pay even more I heard. However I have also heard that those color morphs are not even common in Australia.

Even for the Latezonatus clownfish (widebanded) cost around $100-250 each. Of coruse it's just a supply & demand thing :)

well u have to as what colour morphs cause i see nice pink red green blue all sorts of colours

well here are sum pics i dug up my caty my lfs caty and a couple differnt acans the first pic isnt that good cause there was algea on the glass but ow well

as for clown fish getting banned couldnt tell u i only see thoes wide banned clowns every couple months

Back