Elevating Lights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I actually think I may have one problem doing it. I went and found the studs behind the wall that they were to hung on and they don't match up with the holes on the hood. Any suggestion on how to deal with this problem?

I actually think I may have one problem doing it. I went and found the studs behind the wall that they were to hung on and they don't match up with the holes on the hood. Any suggestion on how to deal with this problem?

No way! Are you using the exact same ones as Reefdaddy posted? I know they have similar ones that can hold shelves across them. Not sure if the ones you have are the same. You may have to put something like a shelf to lay across the 2 supports and then hang the lights from that. Just a thought...

Sorry, didn't make myself clear. Those need to be mounted on a stud correct? Then the plan was to basically hang a chain from the bar coming out and attach the chain to the hood. Well, if I need to hang them on a stud it is going to be offset a bit.

Sorry, didn't make myself clear. Those need to be mounted on a stud correct? Then the plan was to basically hang a chain from the bar coming out and attach the chain to the hood. Well, if I need to hang them on a stud it is going to be offset a bit.

Yeah, you'd definately want it attached to the stud to prevent the weight from tearing it off of the wall. Not sure if you are funny about things like me, but if you could get it to work with some modification, would it bother you to see the brackets on the wall kinda off centered from the tank even if the hood is dead centered where you need it? If it doesn't matter, i'll see if I can add a photo to show what I meant:)

Well here's what I was thinking if infact your brackets could hold wood across that type. Not sure how much off centered the studs are, but I off-set it some just to give you an idea what I meant. Not sure if it helps any, but hopefully it can spark an idea for you:)

The two black lines are the tracks for the supports and the brown horizontal thingy is a shelf:D

hmmm....intestering. That should work I think. I am tall enough to be able to use the shelf too. Now the trick is going to be find a good hanging setup

hmmm....intestering. That should work I think. I am tall enough to be able to use the shelf too. Now the trick is going to be find a good hanging setup

LOL...Maybe some "Eye" bolts (I think that's what they are called) and through bolt it leaving the "circle" part of the bolt underneath the shelf, the washer and nut to the top (which could be counter sunk) and hook whatever you decide to use to the "eye" of the bolt and the hood. Should work great.

Just to show you how bad off I am with things having to be in balance with me (OCD), I'd probably add two more wall strips with the supports and space them so it looks equal all around, but really 2 wouldn't be really holding any weight like this...

ok, the eye bolts make sense. I was think about doing something similar with the shelving too. Normally I can at least think throgh DIY project but I feel brain dead about this one. What are your thoughts on a material to suspend?

Last edited:
ok, the eye bolts make sense. I was think about doing something similar with the shelving too. Normally I can at least think throgh DIY project but I feel brain dead about this one. What are your thoughts on a material to suspend?

LOL...I feel brain dead a lot sometimes and don't even drink!:p Hmm...About what to use to suspend is another thing. Do they sell mounting hardware seperate for you lights? If they do, then it will be similar to what you would need in terms of strength, size and right material so it won't rust. When I looked up your lights "I think" I saw some kit for them. I'll see if I can find it again. Probably give you an idea whhat to use

I was just on the PFO page and they have a wire suspension system for them

Ahh...I couldn't seem to find anything. In any event, HD should have something that looks nice and will do the job if you decide to DIY it rather than order thae hanging kit. I hope everything works out well for you. Make sure and post some pics!:)

Sorry been out all night dint see the thread. I would do exactly as the CAd drawing showed. krish75 Greta idea, If its not centerd then utilize the same brakets till to trim it out>BRILLIANT!! as far as a hanging system. depending on price difference I would go to the lighting department in HD and look at Chandlier chains. The come in variety of colors and styles. If your system has what I suspect as mounting bolt to the unit, They would work, Just thought . Chandliers are heavy and those chain rated for up 80lbs. Just a thought.

Sorry been out all night dint see the thread. I would do exactly as the CAd drawing showed. krish75 Greta idea, If its not centerd then utilize the same brakets till to trim it out>BRILLIANT!! as far as a hanging system. depending on price difference I would go to the lighting department in HD and look at Chandlier chains. The come in variety of colors and styles. If your system has what I suspect as mounting bolt to the unit, They would work, Just thought . Chandliers are heavy and those chain rated for up 80lbs. Just a thought.

:) Just filling in for you since you were "out of office"(LOL) Was your idea I just built upon;)

I just used eye bolt, eye screws, and some cable. Cost me a total of $1.20 I think make the actually suspensin parts. The shelf itself would have been the most expensive part, but luckily my old boss owed me some money and gave me 82 lbs of live rock and a shelf with brackets. . It is up, just didn't get any pictures taken yet. It isn't the pretty but it will hold. The one mistake I made was keeping the shelf at a semi-practical level. I only managed to get my lights about 7.5" off the water. I was shooting for 10". Maybe I can get a friend to help later.

oh yeah, so my hood took a little swim while I was working on raising it. Everything works except one of the fans. Can I just trace back the wires and check for corrision or do you think it is something more?

Take fan out and let dry. It may not work for now but later it may come back. If not then get the replacement fan. I use PC fans for my hoods so they are relatively cheap. Great to hear it worked for ya, would like to see some pic s of the resolve. Happy Reefing Dude!!

That's cool you got it up and not so cool it dropped in the water...Luckily you didn't get a little shock! I agree...Let it dry out or help dry it out with a hair dryer or something. Hopefully that fan will come back to life:)

you read my mind krish. I was sitting there reading and thinking, "yeah, like that picture, only he needs to add two more false brackets at the end....yeah, like the second picture."

you read my mind krish. I was sitting there reading and thinking, "yeah, like that picture, only he needs to add two more false brackets at the end....yeah, like the second picture."

LOL...They say great minds think a like. I hope it is true because if not, you're in terrible shape if you think like me:lol:

Back