Elos 160XL set up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thinking I need to custom build a 2ft by 2ft by 2ft acrylic mixing tank located just below my 65gal RO/DI storage tank. See pic in Post #21 for reference. I will build a shelf directly under and leave room on the floor underneath for a pump or two.

I have been unable to find anything but a 20gal cylinder HDPE cylinder tank for about the same price I figure I can build a custom unit with twice the volume. This will be my first acrylic job but a simple box can't be hard, eh?

The 40gal rectangular will be most efficient use of space, and would incorporate a flip lid for salt addition. This will allow 20% system water changes and plumbed to make the chore more of a pleasure.

Looking good Mark!

Did you check out the link where I bought my 40 gallon water tanks?

Jeff

I did... thanks but the problem is I am looking for a 25gal to 40gal that will fit under my stand and still allow for a pump on the floor underneath. I have 42in vert clearance and I need access to the top of the tank for mixing so it limits me to about 24in high or so. 30in height cylindrical tank would be cramped and that is only a 25gal capacity. So... i am considering building a rectangular that will greatly increase capacity and still have comfortable space underneath. I want the pumps at the lowest point (on floor).

I can fit 23in diameter but I can't find anything shorter than 43in. If I drop to 18in dia then its 30in high minimum. Well unless someone convinces me otherwise by noon time, I am off to the plastic store and gonna wing it.

Skimmer is in so now I just need to finish the tweeks on the filter design and we'll be in good shape. We're going with one of the Alpha 250 cones for this project and it's going to be a great little skimmer. These units are on sale again! So if anyones looking for a new skimmer; drop a line.
Thanks
Eric

Okay priced out acrylic for a DYI mixing tank and the cost is a bit more than practical. Think I am going to settle for a rectangular PE tank with open top. Chemtainer.com seems to have about what I am looking for.

Did u figure out the lighting situation yet? I remember you were thinking about the icecap Reef Illumination fixture. I can tell you a couple things about it. 1)--The halides are spaced far apart, so it easily lights a five foot length, however the width is not lit as efectively. There are pros and cons to this. -pro= a darker back of tank seems to give more depth. Con=you have to pay more attention to coral placement (light requirements). 2)I've heard of some light fixtures that have an easy up and down system built in, but this one is fixed at one level. 3)I just switched from single end 10k coralview bulbs to these double ended 10k ushio bulbs, and my blue corals look more purple now. So I'm not sure if its the ushio 10 spectrum or what?

Overall=It is a slick,thin profile light rig that I'm very happy with.

I think a rimless tank should have a thin profile light rig-not a bigger hood.

Did u figure out the lighting situation yet? I remember you were thinking about the icecap Reef Illumination fixture. I can tell you a couple things about it. 1)--The halides are spaced far apart, so it easily lights a five foot length, however the width is not lit as efectively. There are pros and cons to this. -pro= a darker back of tank seems to give more depth. Con=you have to pay more attention to coral placement (light requirements). 2)I've heard of some light fixtures that have an easy up and down system built in, but this one is fixed at one level. 3)I just switched from single end 10k coralview bulbs to these double ended 10k ushio bulbs, and my blue corals look more purple now. So I'm not sure if its the ushio 10 spectrum or what?

Overall=It is a slick,thin profile light rig that I'm very happy with.

I think a rimless tank should have a thin profile light rig-not a bigger hood.

Thank you very much for your comments! Exactly the info I was looking for!!! I like the idea of the darker back of tank giving a feeling of more depth. I also have my eyes on the Giesemann pendants or at least use their support system as I think it is adjustable.

Are you going to add skin to the stand, or leave it open?

One design I really want to see from someone with a remote sump(not under tank) is a floating elos tank. I'm thinking three or four little steel t bars or beams sticking out of the wall with an elos tank just "floating" there defying logic! The only way to do this is to have a "sump/fish" room directly behind the tank, so the support beams can go thru the wall.

Just dreaming...

Are you going to add skin to the stand, or leave it open?

One design I really want to see from someone with a remote sump(not under tank) is a floating elos tank. I'm thinking three or four little steel t bars or beams sticking out of the wall with an elos tank just "floating" there defying logic! The only way to do this is to have a "sump/fish" room directly behind the tank, so the support beams can go thru the wall.

Just dreaming...

No... not planning to skin this one. I want a very clean 'airy' look underneath. The drain and return plumbing will go down back right corner post straight into floor below and then through the basement ceiling to my fish room. I want to build a thin black shroud that will hug the back corner post and hide the plumbing lines. I am not quite getting to your 'floating' tank idea but close.

Making water finally!

Okay finally made some real progress last night after the wife fell asleep. I picked up my RO/DI unit from Eric at Veralte and got it plumbed in laundry room adjacent to my fishroom (converted basement closet). This unit is sweet! My old unit was a SpectraPure RO unit only (90gal/day). This one from Vertex Aquaristik has a digital TDS meter, diaphram pump, and microprocesser that automatically backflushes on startup and on regular intervals during operation.

http://www.vertexaquaristik.com/products/waterPurifyingSytems/ro-diSystems/deluxePuratek100.php

Photo taken while making water, notice the TDS readout is 00PP. Zero parts per million! :D

I do wonder about the pressure gauge... it is boosting pressure from 55psi well water to 100psi on the diaphram. Gauge is supposed to be oil 'filled' but if you look close at the second pic you can see air at top of gauge. Is this how it is supposed to be?

After running the RO/DI unit for about an hour, flushing the system and draining the product water, I switched it over to my 65gal storage tank. I made about 30gal overnight. I still need to procure a saltwater mixing tank that will reside under the fresh RO water tank but for now I will use a 44gal Brute for initial storage/mixing. I mounted the RO/DI line at top of storage tank with float valve mounted inside. I tee'd the drain line and installed two 1 inch ball valves. One line will be hard plumbed to the mixing tank underneath. The other will give me access to fresh RO water. You can see about 2 inches of water already in the tank.

Nice RO/DI

Are you using the DI part?
Are you using SpectaPure filter and membranes??

Nice RO/DI

Are you using the DI part?
Are you using SpectaPure filter and membranes??

Yes running DI for first time... always used RO only previously.

No on the filters, but I will probably use SpectraPure for replacements.

Skimmer is in so now I just need to finish the tweeks on the filter design and we'll be in good shape. We're going with one of the Alpha 250 cones for this project and it's going to be a great little skimmer. These units are on sale again! So if anyones looking for a new skimmer; drop a line.
Thanks
Eric

I tried to like those skimmers,
but honestly I dont at all....
the RD doesnt impress me at all now that you can get better quality mods to the askoll pump for about half the cost, and with all the BS that RE is dishin out recently with the RD2, I cant honestly even call them a good stand up company anymore.
that and every time I read klaus's responses online I wanna puke.

all that aside, I'm sure it will skim your tank good, dragoneggs...

I tried to like those skimmers,
but honestly I dont at all....
the RD doesnt impress me at all now that you can get better quality mods to the askoll pump for about half the cost, and with all the BS that RE is dishin out recently with the RD2, I cant honestly even call them a good stand up company anymore.
that and every time I read klaus's responses online I wanna puke.

all that aside, I'm sure it will skim your tank good, dragoneggs...

Hey Mark, thanks for your comments but could you be a little less cryptic? I am honestly interested in your comments but I don't have a decipher code so you will have to spell it out for me.

Mark, looks great and you got just what I was saying on the put together of the unit. I'll let you know about the other storrage container as soon as I hear from them but for now the RM can will work just fine. And yes the oil is for balance of the pressure arm which is not affected at the top of the needle so the air in the gauge is fine and normal.

Back