emerald crab eating.....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

Hey I need some help here, I have 4 emerald crabs in my tank, My fox coral has not been looking good here lately and I just found out why, one of my emerald crabs was eating it. I was lucky and Instead of trying to just grab the crab to catch it I took out the whole rock that the crab was on and dug it out of the rock, What should I do with the crag put him in my refuge? and what about the other 3 crabs, I am pretty upset because everyone swears that they are reef safe and mine are eating my corals....
any advise would be great!!!

Matt

A crab will be a crab. They are omnivores and none are 'reef' safe. They are always a gamble, most of the time they are worth the gamble. I would thro it in a pot of boiling water and dip it in butter.

Thats funny Tom, I dont think there is much meat to be worth it, but it should be fine in the refuge right?

Matt

I agree with Tom...I can have pretty much any crab I want anytime I want because of where I live and choose to have none...They are too un-predictable IMO in such a small space. I think Jiddy had problems with an emerald crab himself...Best of luck...Crabs are cool, but for me personally, I stay away..

well knock on wood, but so far my crabs have been good to me, i'm really sorry that yours is eating corals :( .
i agree that you should put it in your fuge

well since I took out that crab and put it in my fuge, my fox coral looks a lot better just overnight. I am sure the crab will find plenty to eat in the fuge, it is 20 gallons with 35 lbs of rock, so he will be fine. I will keep an eye on my other emeralds as well, I dont want them to start eating my corals like that one did.

Matt

another

Well, today I found another one of my emerald crabs eating on my fox coral!! What is it with them and my fox coral? well that makes 2 out of 4 banished to the fuge... hopefully my other 2 will stick to eating detritus and leave my corals alone. I must say I think I will get rid of all my crabs and stick to snails, they cause too many problems at least more then they solve.

Matt

I must say I think I will get rid of all my crabs and stick to snails, they cause too many problems at least more then they solve.

Matt

LOL...Join the club. Sorry to hear they aren't working out for you. They are cool to watch, but so un-predictable. Best of luck...:)

matt my dad was having problems with his hermit crabs eating his snails causing nitrate problems. he caught them all and put them in the fuge and they are doing just fine.

urchins

I would like to get a couple black longspine urchins, they dont cause problems from cruising over corals with their sharp spines??

Matt

Back