Emerald crab soon to be crab cakes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

1fishkeeper

Keeper of the algae
Well the picture tells it all. I was sitting infront of my tank enjoying it. I watched my emerald crab walk right up to my acan. He climbed up on top of it and started to go to town on it. He ripped out the acan from the inside out. He grabbed it by its mouth and started to tug and pull until it ripped open. He then started to enjoy his last meal.
011-3.jpg

The stuff the emerald crab is eating looks like krill and not the insides of an acan. The acan in the picture appears to be happy despite having it's dinner ripped out from it. From my experience once you start target feeding corals everything goes after the food they've caught. If you don't target feed its definitely safe to have an emerald crab in the tank with acans.

I was watching it as I was getting the food ready. So I know its not food that it has had in its mouth. Plus I dont feed krill to my tank very often. That picture is just as it ripped it. Im talking seconds after it done it. I had my camera out because I was going to take some pictures of some corals so I could see the growth rates.

As soon as I can catch him your more than welcome to him. I tryed to get him but he took off into the rocks where I cant get to hime with out breaking apart my whole tank. I have two of them in the tank but the other one is my one arm bandit because he only has one claw. This is the first one that I have ever had with a emerald crab in the last 6 years I have been keeping SW tanks. I guess there is always that one out of a batch that goes bad on you.

Thanks for helping me make my decision on whether or not to get an emerald to deal with bubble algae. I'll just keep "pruning" the bubble algae with my siphon tube during water changes, thank you very much!

Sorry 'bout the acan.... that sucks.

Bad crab, bad crab! I guess I've been lucky, my emerald crabs always play nice with the coral (by leaving them alone). I have heard about the devil personality ones (such as yours)... caught in the act!!

Back