Emergency! Need help!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Faciosity

reefer
I upgraded to 2x 250 MH a couple weeks ago, and when I flipped the switch a minute ago, my ballast made a loud POP and started smoking. I got rid of most my other lights already, so now I'm sitting with a dark tank and hundreds of corals wondering where their light is. Hoping somebody might have a loaner or a cheap one for sale that I could use until I get this fixed or replaced. Thanks!
Ben

Dude I have a couple of cheap halide ballasts you could have if you are willing to drive out here. I know that the drive is a long one and if you were closer I would love to get out there and help you out.

Your corals will be fine, for at least 5 days, without any light at all, while you find something.

In the past, while treating for Dinoflaggaletes, I've turned all of my lights out, for 5 days, with no ill effect on any corals, clams or anemone.

I'll keep my eyes out for something. I have a ghetto retrofit reflector, socket and maybe bulb, along with a 250 watt Hamilton ballast, that I might be able to loan you. It's going to depend on if the ballast works on my new Hamilton pendant or not. If it does work, I'll be using the ballast. However, the rest will be available. I hope to find out, today, if I'm going to be using the ballast or not.

If you were closer I have a few 175SE ballast/bulb items that I would be able to loan.

As Sid mentioned, going without lighting will not harm the corals or such in your tank if it is only a short term thing. I too have truned out my lighting for a couple of days when fighting algae blooms before. No ill effects seen.

Thanks Michael. I have reflectors and bulbs (assuming the ballast issue didn't affect my bulbs), just the ballast went out, and I quickly shut it off and unplugged it. I still have my 4' t5 fixture, but it barely lights the tank, and I recently picked up a couple bigger SPS colonies that I'm worried about.
Your corals will be fine, for at least 5 days, without any light at all, while you find something.

In the past, while treating for Dinoflaggaletes, I've turned all of my lights out, for 5 days, with no ill effect on any corals, clams or anemone.

I'll keep my eyes out for something. I have a ghetto retrofit reflector, socket and maybe bulb, along with a 250 watt Hamilton ballast, that I might be able to loan you. It's going to depend on if the ballast works on my new Hamilton pendant or not. If it does work, I'll be using the ballast. However, the rest will be available. I hope to find out, today, if I'm going to be using the ballast or not.

Found a single that I can get tomorrow, but still need another single or a dual. Thanks everybody!

Back