emperor angel

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

booie

Has anyone ever kept an emperor angel in a 150 gallon reef tank. The only corals in the tank are hammer, frogspawn,mushrooms, a leather coral, and star polyps.

To be honest with you...there is no set rule with and emperor (nor any angel) as to whether it is "reef safe" or not. Although i think that an emperor is on the list as one of the better ones, but i dont know. One thing i do know though, is that you can get the 8 of the same species of angels and they might all act differently.

good luck

-augustus

I have three different emperors in reef tanks in maintence accounts. They eat zoos like popcorn. They dont seem to bother much of anything else.
Your milage may vary.
Clams, shrimp, rics, shrooms, acros, montis, lps, no problems in my experince.

I have one in my 240. He likes to eat hydnophora and xenia, but will not touch other SPS. He's also pretty aggressive. I wouldn't do it again.

I have a friend that has one in his 225, it nibbles a bit here and there on stuff but nothing that endangers the life of the corals. The angel is about 4" Just FYI, but he does nip just not much, I think you will experience mixed results depending on attitude. Good luck

if u have dense reef any nipping of corals will not be that noticable and in the end will be more natural looking as theres alot of fish that eat coral in natuer and u do see alot of nibbled corals but it dosent look bad to see a huge porites with craters in it where its been eaten because its a chance for other corals to claim that spot and there be a sweet big acro growing out the side

Back