Endangered or illegal corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ok, I searched that site and got no results on the coral I was looking for, Gardineroseris planulata. Everything else I found said that the coral was very rare, so I wanted to know how rare. Anthony, do you know anything about this?

thanks Steve :)

And to all: simply evaluate the CITES list for exporting countries. Its not a matter of legal or illegal corals... but rather an issue of participating countries or not. Yet even when you find a non-CITES participating country that will export corals... you still have to reckon the laws of your own country to bring them in.

Thus, Australians and Japanese aquarists enjoy stony corals from their waters, but we (USA) cannot.

In short... if you don't see it on the list... its not legal to export from that/given country.

So, after a search of CITES I came up with Gardineroseris planulata listed in Appendix II. Other than that, the site reads like radio instuctions and I didn't have the time to comb every line of text. And it's not listed in the ICUN red list, so I guess it's ok to sell/own this coral. If I'm wrong SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME!!!
Thanks for you help,
Jason

Anthony Calfo said:
most importantly... what country do you intend to import this coral from?
It wasn't that I was worried about importing, it was that I already recieved this coral and just figured out what it was a couple of weeks ago. I got it from an inland wholesaler when my boss sent me out to get some stock, and I thought it was pretty neat looking. I have no idea what country it originally came from. After I kept running across sites with the words "rare" or "very uncommon" describing Gardineroseris, and that no records of it being kept in an aquarium apparently existed, I was worried about the legal standing of it--and I was very nervous about trying to sell the couple of frags that I have. When I couldn't find any references to this coral on any of the popular forums that didn't help calm down my nerves either, and I was beginning to wonder if I'd been had.

I have one i cant find much info on also. I get alittle nervous about that. mine comes from the Gulf of Oman and i hear bad things about people taking corals from that region . It is called parasimplastrea sheppardi . Anyone have any info other than general info.

Anthony Calfo said:
thanks Steve :)

Thus, Australians and Japanese aquarists enjoy stony corals from their waters, but we (USA) cannot.

Yeah lucky for us :) And when you are able to get them imported, they are like 10 times the price :D But are equiptment is $$$$$$$$$$$$$4:cry:

Back