energy cost???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Milez803

anyone know how much energy cost would be increase..when using a 400 Watts MH with a electronic ballest? someone told me it would be increase at least by 20 $ or more...if anyone got any information, feel free to drop some tips..thanks

I noticed a difference when switching from260w pc's to dual 250w MH's, but the price of gas is always jumping around so electricity prices are always fluctuating as well so an exact figure would be hard to give. I know my wife cussed though:p

good one krish75 i think all of our wifes do that mine won't let me come near her if i spent to much. lol but true
Brandon

California's electricty rates are controlled by the state and only change from winter to summer. The increases are few. That said he can contact the electric provider in his area and they will tell him his cost to operate the lights.

In my area 2x250 W MH ran about 10 hours a day cost about $30-$35 a month. Yes they are very expensive. The most common way cops catch marijuana growers is by investigating large power bills. They usually have a lot of MH and there power bills are way too high for an normal dwelling. So if you have like 10 reef tanks with MH don't be suprised when the feds come to investigate.

I ran a quick 'back of the envelope' for my MH cost number like this:

2 x 250W MH at 10hr/day and 30day/mo = 150000watts or 150KW

According to my electric bill, I pay .0925 $/KW x 150KW = about $14/mo.

I'll have to check to see what is cost per KWH here. From what I hear the midwest is higher than the rest of the nation. :(

I'll have to check to see what is cost per KWH here. From what I hear the midwest is higher than the rest of the nation. :(

The rate here in the great northwest is variable depending on how much you are using. My bill starts out at about .075$/KWH and jumps at some point of usage to .0925$/KWH.

I noticed a difference when switching from260w pc's to dual 250w MH's,

That brings up an important point, that may be lost, on less "technically minded" people. A watt is a watt is a watt. It doesn't matter what is using that watt, it will cost the same.

The reason Krish did not see a significant difference between 260w of PCs and 250w of MH is because a ten watt difference when going from 260w to 250w is about a -4% change. Not very noticeable when mixed in with everything else that uses electricity in a house.

That brings up an important point, that may be lost, on less "technically minded" people. A watt is a watt is a watt. It doesn't matter what is using that watt, it will cost the same.

The reason Krish did not see a significant difference between 260w of PCs and 250w of MH is because a ten watt difference when going from 260w to 250w is about a -4% change. Not very noticeable when mixed in with everything else that uses electricity in a house.

Yes a watt is a watt but a 250W MH will actually burn more OR less power depending on the ballast, it isn't exacting as it seems. The Ballast will also consume power through heat losses & that will add to whatever the power the lamp.

That is true peoples

A watt is a watt no matter how its powered or ran.
I hear a lot on when people switch to electronic ballasts to "save on their bill" VS magnetic. It all comes down to efficiency.
If a person is going to go the route of MH lighting then the price must be paid to run it.
So for the question at hand-
drop the word electronic, wont help the bill. How much it will cost to run 400W MH lamp depends on the lighting period and your charge per kWh.
My tank runs me about 48$ a month to run. (all equipment) and I have 2-250W lamps.

hehe

i hope with a single 400 Watts metal halide with a electronic ballast, change my energy bill too much..if its like 5-10 dollar i don't mind..but if its gets higher than that..my mom gonna yell :p hehe..no wife here..hehe..

another question..anyone think its worth 220 dollar to buy a metaal halides ..PFO brand, with reflector ..monguel socket and 10k bulb ( don't know brand) ...retro kit...or is there any online website that would be cheaper... i would galdy accept any advice.. i thought about DYI, but for someone that 17..its hard to pay for expensive items..

thanks

Ahh the world of lighting
One of you most expensive investments second to a skimmer.

DIY all the way
save you money and some good learning experience.
$220 is a great starting point.

Actually if you consider the small amount of power consumed by PH's, Pumps they will actually be higher than running two 250W mh lights 8 hours a day.

Back