Enlarging

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
Ive got a little jpg of my wife when she graduated from law school. Could someone please explain to me how to make it bigger in photo shop without it being funny looking. I have version 7.0 but am not smart enough to use it.

Thanks
Don

Up-sizing a photo takes skills, I use photoshop 7 also but never had the patients to learn how to upsize a photo correctly, I doubt it will ever be as good as it is now.

Up-sizing a photo takes skills, I use photoshop 7 also but never had the patients to learn how to upsize a photo correctly, I doubt it will ever be as good as it is now.

I can buy a bigger jpg for $50 but I'm trying to cheat.:) I can make it bigger but then you can see each square/pixel.

Don

Try this?
  1. When an image is resampled, an interpolation method is used to assign color values to any new pixels it creates, based on the color values of existing pixels in the image. The more sophisticated the method, the more quality and detail from the original image are preserved.
    The General Preferences dialog box lets you specify a default interpolation method to use whenever images are resampled with the Image Size or transformation commands. The Image Size command also lets you specify an interpolation method other than the default.
To specify the default interpolation method:
  1. Do one of the following:
    • In Windows or Mac OS 9.x, choose Edit > Preferences > General. (Photoshop) In Mac OS X, choose Photoshop > Preferences > General.
    • (ImageReady) In Mac OS X, choose ImageReady > Preferences > General.
    For Interpolation, choose one of the following options:
    • Nearest Neighbor (Jagged) for the fast but less precise method. This method is recommended for use with illustrations containing non-anti-aliased edges, to preserve hard edges and produce a smaller file. However, this method can result in jagged effects, which become apparent when distorting or scaling an image or performing multiple manipulations on a selection.
    • (Photoshop) Bilinear for a medium-quality method.
    • Bicubic (Smooth) for the slow but more precise method, resulting in the smoothest tonal gradations.

Or If you have a scanner, scan it as high as you can & make a new image?

Digital images can not be upscaled in resolution and size without being either pixelated, or very blurry. Just not possible.

crop canvas

I' m not sure if this apply's in your situation,but if you crop canvas first your pic will be larger without compromising clarity,then resize.

Thanks for the ideas I'll give them a shot tonight. I do have a scanner if the others dont work.

Don

At 300 resolution you should have no problem just re sizing the image. Up to a certain size.

Don, send it to me and I will see what I can do. I'm a graphic designer and have photoshop here at home. If the resolution is 300 it should be upscalable to a certain extent with no problem. I will pm you my email address for you as well if you would like to send it there. Let me know how big you would like the final size to be.

Since we're talking "on screen," pixels per inch is irrelevant. Sure, it could be 300 dpi, but at only 2" wide, making it only 600 pixels to work with. We'd have to know the pixel count if you're intending this for a computer screen and not print.

Thanks folks. I got it. I rescanned it and now its bigger. Still not great so I took it to kinkos the just made it bigger in a couple of minutes and now I can print 8x10's.

Don

Back