enough lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fishboy

i have a 72 bow front tank i am currently running 2 175watt single ended coralvue mh i have it placed about 14" over my tank in a canopy the tank is 48" long 13" wide on the sides 18" wide in the middle and 22" deep i am planning to put some sps clams and lps in it do i have enough light please help i am confused

come on people i really need the help 11 people look at this thread and no one has responed yet please i need to know thanks in advace

Fishboy,
I am not sure if 175 will be adequate for what you want. You can definitely lower your lights about 5 inches. I do not see that many people using 175 watt bulbs as in the past. I see people using 250 watt single ended Metal halide bulbs that cover 2 feet square. I would assume you would want more lighting for SPS. You have a 4ft tank. I would recommend more lighting. I would highly recommend 2-250 metal halides. That way you could do SPS, Clams, LPS easily if you maintained good Natural Saltwater Perimeters.

It sounds like you already own a 175W setup. They will work fine but you will need to place your corals and clams stratigically. Also you will need to lower your lights until they are about 7-9" off the water (be sure to keep an eye on the tank water temperature). T. crocea and maxima clams will have to be 12" or less from the water surface but T. derasa, squamosa, and gigas can be on the sand/bottom. LPS can be kept anywhere. Many of the sps can be kept in the top 14" or so. High light Acropora sp. will need to be within 6" of the water surface.

HTH,
Kevin

well let me thank everyone who replied to my post. yes i already have the 175 set up i just bought it about 2 weeks ago and just put them up 3 days ago, just got done building my canopy and that was no easy task sigh. with 175 ballast i could not use 250 lights right. well this is kinda bumming me out cause i spent alot of money on that set up well i guess the clams are out of the question but i think i have enough live rock that some sps will be at the top of the tank

Back