Entry level aquarium lighting question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kaolian

Well, I'm getting a new spiffy acrylic aquarium to replace my existing glass aquarium. hte glass aquarium has the standard "fish tank" plastic hood with single bulb light bar on top thingy on it currently. Similar to this one

Not ideal.

My budget is fairly small at the moment, having blown most o the rest of it on tanks, parts, etc. So I'm looking for some sort of 36" wide lighting system that will fit on top of an acrylic aquarium that does not yet have a Hood. I eventually plan on building a hood, but it's going to be a ways off yet.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should be looking for make and model wise? Thanks in advance!

Do you know what kind of corals you will be keeping?

Er, welll, tecchnically the green planty non coral kind that live in a freshwater tank for the moment, but eventually i plan to upgrade to saltwater and a reef. :)

I would say if you are just going to use freshwater. I would just get a decent flourecent light for now. You can use that for saltwater later. But, will need to add stronger lighting as you add corals to your tank. Stronger lighting can be used along side your flourecent lighting. Maybe Metal Halides later.

Hope this helps.

Any ideas on brands or models to look for? I've heared horror stories about various chinese made lighting systems, so i was kind of hopeing someone would have some specific reccomendations I could follow. Because I can use all the help I can get hehe

Back