New to the are of SW Aquarium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mike,

Great to hear about the book !! You will NOT be disappointed.

Ditto on that one. It's a great book. :) Mike, if you have an interest in any other reading material, I have a list of some books that have served me well. (Reading is another or my hobbies, my house could be a library/public aquarium.)

It has been a while since I have posted anything here. The tank is still in the planning stage. I am waiting on funds to purchase the skimmer so I can design the sump. Skimmy gave me his opinion and it will be a Reef Octopus Extreme XS 200. Once the unit gets here the sump design will be finished and constructed. Yes, a fuge will be part of it. The lighting will be the next item to purchase then the remaining power heads and some pvc for the plumbing and I will use the extra for hiding spots in the QT that I will get set up.

Estimated starting time to start the Cycling will be near the beginning of September, since I am still dealing with post shoulder surgery stuff and L&I insurance issues.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your progress on this build. Sounds like your doing a great job so far!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Waiting for funds just a part of this hobby:) I always use the waiting time to research and plan my next move. But even with a plan some how i am always changing things? lol

Good luck with the shoulder!

Hello all, it has been a bit of time and things have stretched out on the time. I recently (3 days ago) acquired 40 lbs of Pukani rock and 40 lbs of Key Largo rock. The rock is "Dead" meaning that it is dry. I have been reading about bleaching, cooking and acid bathing the rocks to make sure that they are truely dead. I want to start with clean rock (relatively). Any advice on this? I am planning on purchasing a few pieces of Live Rock once I get the tank set up and begin the cycling process but that is a bit of time down the road; (saving now for the skimmer so I can make the sump) so the rock will be in the tank aquascaped waiting for the sand and SW and the start of the cycle (the tank will look better than just an empty glass hole :) ).

-Mike

I would think that you would want to rinse the rock off with RO/DI water to get any debris out of it and let it dry. I dont think with dry rock that you are going to have any pests from it. Maybe bake it but not while its wet. I wouldnt bother, my self. I would just rinse it and let it dry.

Back