Epoxy and glue

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

slo1

As I keeping stuff to my tank, I have been using the two part epoxy to join rocks and frags. Lately, my snails have just been knocking stuff back off the rocks. The Epoxy does not seem to be very sticky, and the superglue gel seems to only work from a dry surface. Any suggestions?

I also see a lot of frags that are attached to some pretty big bases. Do you cut them off before adding to your tank? Thanks!

I cut off the bases because I'm paranoid and worry about pest. Super glue gel works under water just takes practice.

Don

I cut off the bases because I'm paranoid and worry about pest. Super glue gel works under water just takes practice.

Don

Need to put the glue on the patted dry frag end, hold it while rubbing superglue onto the rock preferably into some hole, and then quickly rubbing the two glued parts together. As Don says, just takes practice...

yep put a bit of glue on the tip of your finger put some on the frag, and hold the frag in the other fingers, then rub the bit of glue on the spot where you want the frag to go with the finger then quickly put the frag on the spot and rub just a few secondes then hold in place for about 10-30 seconds(pending on flow in that spot) then your good to go..
Herefishyfishy taught me this and it works great.....just takes practice, with ICEGEL you don't need much...

yep put a bit of glue on the tip of your finger put some on the frag, and hold the frag in the other fingers, then rub the bit of glue on the spot where you want the frag to go with the finger then quickly put the frag on the spot and rub just a few secondes then hold in place for about 10-30 seconds(pending on flow in that spot) then your good to go..

Ditto.......and practice

We use the green and white epoxy putty stick and super glue gel. You smoosh up the epoxy stuuf and then super glue one side, stick it to the coral, super glue the other side of the epoxy and then stick it in place, hold for about 10 secs. The super glue sticks fast and the putty molds into the holes in the rocks, so it soo much easier than just glue, and quicker than just the putty.

Are you serious? You put super glue on your finger?

LOL just dont touch anything until it dries...especially yourself :)

The Epoxy does not seem to be very sticky, and the superglue gel seems to only work from a dry surface. Any suggestions?
I've used to use the epoxy but only with frags already attached to a rock. I stopped using it awhile back because, to me, it doesn't look natural. I can always tell where the expoxy was placed even after a year of being in the tank.

LOL just dont touch anything until it dries...especially yourself :) .

:lol:

I've used to use the epoxy but only with frags already attached to a rock. I stopped using it awhile back because, to me, it doesn't look natural. I can always tell where the expoxy was placed even after a year of being in the tank.

I haven't tried it yet, but they have coraline colored epoxy, thats supposed to make it look more natural until the coral grows over it.
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...n&rlz=1T4GGIH_enUS273US273&sa=N&start=18&um=1

the color I've used is grey and to the untrained eye it probably looks just like a part of the rock. Its just me being over critical.

Herefishyfishy taught me this and it works great.....just takes practice, with ICEGEL you don't need much...

Ya, it's awesome when your fingernail sticks to the skin (and vice-versa) and then later you get to peel everything off in little chunks for hours. Funny what salt water does to the IC-Gel, sure makes it a different consistency huh? It is amazing how well it all works out though...most frags don't seem to mind either!

Ya, it's awesome when your fingernail sticks to the skin (and vice-versa) and then later you get to peel everything off in little chunks for hours. Funny what salt water does to the IC-Gel, sure makes it a different consistency huh? It is amazing how well it all works out though...most frags don't seem to mind either!

When I am glueing prior to a meeting, I tear one finger off a vinyl or latex glove and put it on my index finger for the IC Gel.
5 disposable gloves in one :>)

When I am glueing prior to a meeting, I tear one finger off a vinyl or latex glove and put it on my index finger for the IC Gel.
5 disposable gloves in one :>)

Good call Mike, I will adopt your awesome method, nothing like experience wise-one, thanks!

Back