Epoxy Film

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ollie51

Does Anyone Use The Epoxy In The Tube Green & White Mush It Together And Use It To Anchor Frags? I Just Anchored 2 To My Live Rock And Now I Have A Film All Over The Top Of My Tank Could This Be From The Epoxy? Or Something Else

yeah I use the epoxy. This could be from lack of surface movement and i dont get any film on the surface after using it. It could be from oils in food.

JMO

Matt

I use the epoxy also and have never had any film collect on the water surface. How much did you use?? I don't use much and I super glue gel the frag to the epoxy and then glue the epozy plug to my rock. Nothing can pry it off the rock and I've had the very best results using this method.

I Only Used A Little To Anchor 2 Frags Into My Rockwork The Pieces Were About The Size Of Big Grape I Dont Think Circulation Is A Problem I Have A Tunze Pushing 2200gph A Seio1100 And A Rio Hyper Flow In The Sump Putting Out Another 1000gph

I Dont Think Circulation Is A Problem
Surface agitation is just as important as overall flow. In nature the wave action provides tremendous surface agitation which disperses protiens that collect at the waters surface. The home aquarium should have the same motion minus the splashing (the salt creep would just be too much). This will keep your surface clear and allow the best light penetration also.

Regards,
Kevin

great point Kevin, I try to have as much surface agitation as flow throughout the tank. I have waves going across the water surface and then the random flow in the tank.

ollie, next time try a dab of super glue gel along with the epoxy, it'll definitely hold the epoxy together and get a good hold on the rock/frag.

Kevin Or Sue What Do You Suggest For Surface Aggation I Have The Tunze And Seio In The Middle Of The Tank And I Took The Return From The Sump And Pulled The Fitting Upand Moved Up So Its Moving The Surface It Seems A Little Better But I Still See Some Film That I Never Noticed Before

Kevin Or Sue What Do You Suggest For Surface Aggation I Have The Tunze And Seio In The Middle Of The Tank And I Took The Return From The Sump And Pulled The Fitting Upand Moved Up So Its Moving The Surface It Seems A Little Better But I Still See Some Film That I Never Noticed Before

I use my return it is 300 gph and the outlet is right on the top of the water. You can use a power head and direct the flow to the top of the water.

Liam

An additional powerhead pointed towards the surface works well. Something in the 300-500gph range. Just make sure it does not splash as that will result in salt creep/spray buildup on the surrounding surfaces.

HTH,
Kevin

my returns are aimed right at surface water level. Plus I have my wavemaker ph's aimed right at the surface and the mj mods are aimed for the flow around the corals.

I have used this Epoxy also but never tried the glu along with it. Do you have to remove the rock from the tank or do you just put some of this glue on the epoxy than attach it to the rock while its still in the tank?

I tried using it today to try and anchor a acropora (birdnest type looking) frag to the overflow and have it branch out and up, i thought it'd look pretty cool but the putty would not stick to save a life i swear!

Back