Equipment help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lyfsux

Starting to purchase and set up of the 180 pred tank pulling out my blue spotted ray out of the 75. Wondering the thoughts of the Rena filstar xp3 also will be installing an uv unit but still wondering what ozone exactly is and what it does and does not do? Is it a good thing to be considering my 100 pounds of lr is curing as we speak and thoughts on any of this?

Ozone Is Is Anaturally Occouring Gas In The Upper Atmosphear,it Is Also A Powerful Oxident.there Are Other Potentially Harmful By Products Such As Hyperchlorite And Hyperbromite And These Kill Inverts And Fish. It Is Used With Skimmers And Reactors.it Is Introduced Via A Mixing Reactor Where Both Ozone And Water Combine And Organics Are Oxidized Then Introduced To The Skimmer. After The Skimmer It Should Be Passed Thru A Container Of Gac(carbon) Befroe Being Returned To The Aquarium To Remove Any Residual Ozone And Mos Of The By Products. A System Tha Uses Ozone Should Have The Following Equiptment: Air Dryer (25.00), Ozone Generator(150.00),ozone Reactor(50.00), Skimmer,redox Controller(200.00), And Various Accessories. This Is An Expensive Set Up That Is Not Necessary As Long As A Hobbiest Has An Efficent Skimmer. Ther Are Systems Out There That Run Ozone But I Have Seen Only One In The Nine Years That I Have Been In This Hobby. There Are Other Ways To Achieve The Same Results With Chemical Filtration, And Without The Possiable Harmful Side Effects. But This Is Some Thing You Must Decide For Yourself. There Is A Book Out There Called Aquatic Systems And How They Work. It Is A Really Good Book For The Beginner Cause It Gives Basic Ideas On How Diffrent Types Of Equptment Operate. I Hope This Help You Out A Little.

Well that was pretty doom and gloom, lol. I run ozone, so does Anthony cCalfo and quite a few hoobists that have been in it for awhile. they way you laid out the system is pretty close to the way it works, but if you run the water through carbon its really not an issue to monitor (although a monitor is always nice). Ozone will do alot more then a skimmer can do, as mentioned it is an active molecule and eats through organics fast. A skimmer is a passive method and is not a effective.
We have some good article in our library on the subject also.

Mike

I Apologize If You Thought It Was Gloomy But I Have Never Heard Wondreful Or Bad Things About Ozone My Self. And Im Glad That There Are Hobbiest Out There That Use It. I Gave A Basic Over View Of What It Entails. But I Think With His Skimmer It Would Not Be Adviseable. Or Is A Hot Skimmer Such As A Bak Pak A Good Means For Running Ozone?

If You Don't Need A Skimmer Than How Do You Export The Oxidized Organics?
Like I Said I'm Not That Familiar With It. Are You Going To The Psas Meeting Sat. If So I'd Like To Meet You And Ed. I Went From A Very Lo Tech System To One I Hope Is Getting There.

Thanks guys althought may be I will try a good quality skimmer the other setup sounds very confusing and I am just learning this hobby. Any skimmer recommendations out there?

for your system since the bio load is going to be heavy, due to feeding of these fish i would suggest the largest that you can afford, reasonably I don't advocate one skimmer over the other some of the brands that are out there are; Aqua C E.V. series,
Euro Reef, Precission Marine, Deltec, ETSS, and the list goes on. Many including myself
consider skimmers to be the most important part of the filtration system. i think the worst thing you can do is buy a skimmer that is underrated. these are the ones that are the hang ons. some may debate this with me, but I my self have used many of these models and have found them to be inferior units. just remember the that it is just my opinion. check out the sponsors and used equiptment for sale. good luck!

On the Rena Filstar XP3, I use one on my 75, I use it to run purigen by seachem in micron filter bags. I split one liter into 2 bags so I can regenerate one every month. I open my filter up every week to two weeks and rinse the foams in the washer with my filter socks. Upsides, quiet, effecient use of space, effective filtration. Down sides, it has a tendency to hold about of inch of air at the top of the filter and occsiaonly blow micro bubbles into the tank. It does for a couple of hours every few days. I do not like the two prong cord. More things I like, the double gasket, the intake and return hose are high quality silicon, it comes with clamps, I like the quick disconnect, and I like that I can see into the filter box. HTH I am ignorant on the subject of ozone in the reef, MAYBE Mojo would start a thread with his experince on it and help us who dont know much out..... LOL Steve

The backpack is perfect for running ozone. Remove the bio-bail and replace it with carbon. Ozone is not expensive to implement as long as you dont pay for overpriced aquarium industry stuff. You can get a enali 300 unit for about $40 and a controller for $100 thats it and your set.

Don

Back