Equipment question for new 55 gal reef system

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wow, Kate! What an informative post...

Thanks so much!

I have discovered glasscages.com and am now contemplating a pre-drilled "reef ready" tank. It would be nice to have a built-in overflow and a bulkhead for the return.

Interesting Don, I did wonder about that. I can see how fast the flow is in the sump when I try to hold down a softie frag :) Must be why some people use a closed loop when they already have a decent return pump.

See what I mean? Learn something new every day here.
Thanks,
Kate

What is a closed loop? Is it just a closed water system used for water circulation?

thecapn said:
What is a closed loop? Is it just a closed water system used for water circulation?

Just for flow the return is for circulation.

showphoto.php

Thanks Don, that's along the lines of what I was thinking.

I've decided to get a custom 40gallon long aquarium, with an overflow in the back.

What drilling/bulkheads would you guys recommend having installed while my design is still "on the chopping block?"

I am so glad I don't have to explain a closed loop. :) I intuitively understand it but cannot make it clear to friends who do not. Can you explain the way your tank's CL plumbing works?

Kate

Perhaps the only other thing that I would add to the sump is a phosphate reactor. They are cheap and can really help keep the algae down. Especially if you like to keep your fish nice and fat by lots and lots of feeding as I do. :)

when it comes to protein skimmers i would strongly suggest getting a high quality one that is a known "high performer" as opposed to one that has just medium performance. the skimmer is usually the heart and soul of your filtration(in most peoples systems), and it should be able to make a cup(8 oz) a day of productive skimmate.
for ease of use, build quality, price, and over all performance i would suggest a euroreef.
model #'s; cs5-20, es6-20, rs5-20, es5-24.
look here for purchasing blemished skimmers from the company that are still under warranty and much less money!

http://commerce2.i2net.com/able5stores/stores/33/category.aspx?SID=33&Category_ID=548

Last edited:
thecapn said:
Are there any cons to using a hang-on protein skimmer in a sump?

Most skimmers work differently when you submerge them in water. I'd be concerned about a decline in performance. You dont need to by a euro name brand to get a good skimmer. Personally I would never own another euro reef and was lucky enough to get my money back just last month on a $1000 piece of eurotrash.

Don

DonW said:
Most skimmers work differently when you submerge them in water. I'd be concerned about a decline in performance. You dont need to by a euro name brand to get a good skimmer. Personally I would never own another euro reef and was lucky enough to get my money back just last month on a $1000 piece of eurotrash.

Don

You're advocating in-sump skimmers then, yeah?

I'll probably stick with the turboflotor t1000. What about return pumps... external or submerged?

o.k. first off, theres nothing european about euroreef, they are made in usa,
and second, so thousands of people are wrong and your right?? i've owned 5+ euroreefs and been more than satisfied with every one, and so has every other person i know who has owned one, you are as a matter of fact the ONLY person i have ever heard that from.
i would think your lack of performance had more to do with user error than manufacturer design.

thecapn said:
You're advocating in-sump skimmers then, yeah?

I'll probably stick with the turboflotor t1000. What about return pumps... external or submerged?

I personally had good luck with the t1000 and I'm pretty sure Tom had good luck back when he had a little tank.
Ive had good luck with mag pumps but they do put out some heat. You'll have to deal with the heat issue with fans of something. If your not going to go with halides its probably not a real concern.

Don

skimerwhisperer said:
o.k. first off, theres nothing european about euroreef, they are made in usa,
and second, so thousands of people are wrong and your right?? i've owned 5+ euroreefs and been more than satisfied with every one, and so has every other person i know who has owned one, you are as a matter of fact the ONLY person i have ever heard that from.
i would think your lack of performance had more to do with user error than manufacturer design.

Slow down. Its my opinion and I have the right to it. Your barking up the wrong tree if you think I dont know anything about skimmers. I'm just honest enough to to say how displeased I was with MY decision to buy one. My no name out performed the rc250 hands down.

Don

the aqua medic t1000 is a medium performance skimmer, go read reviews or look it up on RC, dont take my word for it.

as far as hang on skimmers, sure you can use a hang on skimmer in a sump, if you really want to. some of the best hang on skimmers are the aqua c remora and remora pro. they are all in the same price range, $150 - $200, the t1000 is $194 from marine depot w/2700, or euroreef es5-20$145 for a blem off of h2o tropicals, the remora is $163 w/ a maxi jet 1200, or $226 for the remora pro w/ mag 3.

im tellin' ya, the euroreef will smoke them all!! again, dont take my word for it, go look up reviews!!

skimerwhisperer said:
and YOU slow down don, your the one who ripped on me for suggesting a euroreef, why rip on anybody for anything?? you are entitled to your opinon, and so am i... enough said.

Nobody "ripped" on YOU just euro reef. Unless you happen to be a partner or owner dont take it so personal. Lets not turn this into a skimmer war and ruin this guy thread. He can read the reviews or take personal expeience.:)

Don

Back