equipment

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ninerfoelife

Im putting together a 200g(5ft*20in) reef around summer. I was wondering what would be cheaper buying a Hamilton Technology light or putting one together. what would I need to put a lighting system together. I want three metal halides and four super actnic blue light. I don't have anything else but the tank and the stand. what equipment do I need for a sump. any advice on equipment from personal experiences I should get for the tank.

It is always cheaper to put together your own. shop around and you will find better prices. what wattage are you looking for?

You need to decide on what kind of bulbs you want DE or SE. Single end require a mogul only.

DE require a pendant so the cost is more.

But you should really run a reflector with the SE to get more light into you tank.

So you need a bulb, a socket or pendant, some cord and a ballast.

Dave B

Double Ended bulbs vs Single Ended bulbs

Differences are varied by opinions.... There are 100's of threads across the internet discussing the differences and opinions in detail.

Dave B

Each Ballast only runs one bulb.

When you see Major Name companies with ballasts that run multiple bulbs, they are just individual ballasts inside one box.

Dave B

how much for a good ballast. On hamilton technology their light system with 3 metal halides and 2 60in Super Actinic Blue is $882.5o is that a good deal

Back