Euro Reef question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefgirl78

Hi,

I just bought a used setup that came with a ETSS 600 and bad iwaki pump. So now I am looking to just buy a new skimmer with attached pump to save room.

I was told Euro Reef RS with Eheim pump is still god although I hear Bubblemaster is coming up too.

What are your thoughts.

I was thinking of getting a Octopus but I don't want to modify everything either.

Should I go with a Euro Reef RS180 to play it safe for my 120 reef?

Thanks,
Alison

Alison

Personally I would stay away from the RO. I have one myself and so far it has been a pain. I'm sure it will be a great once all the bugs are out but right now it is not all it is cracked up to be. I would definately talk to Mark / Skimmerwhisper about the ATI Bubblemaster here is the latest thread. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20964 He is the local skimmer guru and would definately point you in the right direction. From what I have seen the ATI are the bomb!!!

Brian

In my opinion there is still nothing out there that is as good as the Euro skimmer. Get yourself as big a one as you can afford and you'll never be sorry.

Another question-

Is my ETSS 600 not as good as a Euro Reef? I need a new pump but it works good. I want to save space though and get rid of an external pump.

-Alison

My question to you is why buy a new skimmer? ETSS are good skimmers. And fairly pricey. I have never heard anyone dis them at all. Buy the new pump and let it rip.

Your ETSS 600 is a great skimmer.
I'm not a fan of EuroReef I have and have had a few.
Have you looked at H&S and Deltecs Offerings?

As far as skimmers or anything reef goes opinions are as varied as buttholes :) I use a Euroreef 135 RS on my 120. The thing skims like crazy. Churns approx a 1" every 2 days of thick nasty skimate.

Deltecs are great too but way too pricey IMO. I have used several types and for the money Euro rocks. Set it and forget it. Mhhh sounds like that silly infommercial :)

Hi Alison...we already talked skimmers but for the benefit of the thread readers I thought I'd add here. ETSS's do skim well but with higher energy consumption, extra pump noise, another external pump to plumb, much more maintenence time required, and water-on-the-floor risk. If I was faced with buying a new pump for one, I would rather invest that money in a Euro-Reef(proven track record) or BubbleMaster(new up and comer). You save on energy used, spend much less time threading and un-threading nylon screws and adjusting the level, and you never have to worry about it overfilling your waste collector or having your auto waste collector fail, and you don't have to listen to the Iwaki. Then you have the eternal debate about the quality (not quantity) of the skimmate produced by downdraft or, high volume, skimmers(ETSS). I won't even go there. I'll just say I have never smelled anything as nasty as what you can collect in a Euro-Reef cup. H & S, Deltec, Schuran, Bubble King, and Elos all make good skimmers as well, but a few of them will break the bank and thats really not necessary. Especially on the size of tank you are matching the skimmer to. Just my 2Cents:) And now I hear all the ETSS owners warming up their keyboards...

Last edited:
Thanks Cy,

Ya it's REALLY hard to figure out what to do. Euro Reef sounds like the answer but then I heard it warms up the water even at a low 45 watts? Is it significant enough for need of a chiller? I may just keep the ETSS for now and slap a blue line on there and then after a few months (and recoop of funds taken by christmas) buy a Euro Reef.

Thanks,
Alison

Most submersible pumps will add some heat to the water. I have never noticed a significant temp change just by adding a single pump Euro-Reef Skimmer but if your tank was already running borderline warm it may be just enough to push it into the danger zone. Hard to say. Good luck with whichever skimmer you choose. Me personally, I think I'd give the Bubble Masters a couple months and if they are proving to rock the way they look like they will thats the route I'd go.

Thanks Cy,

Ya maybe I'll just throw a cheap blueline on there an call her good for a few months or so until the bubblemasters have proven themself worthy of the cost. They sound like it, but being so new it's hard to accept all the way for the cost.

The 3 things I hate for external pumps is noise and electricity and space. Mainly the electricity. With Blueline and Iwaki being around 120 watts for the MD40RL, and a comprobable Euroreef or Bubblemaster being around 45 watts that is HUGE, but upfront more cost.

I was just hoping to atleast find a good external pump that is much lower wattage and low heat and noise. I found a Poseiden that sounds great for noise but it sounds like a wet/dry or closed loop pump and not a pressure pump that I need and they are 140 watts for the PS3 if that would work. I guess 120 watts is low compared to others and the Blueline is quieter than the Iwaki too.

That would only be like around $160 for a blueline unlike a new Euro that will cost $400+++. Or bubblemaster at $550++. I think ultamatly I will get a Euro Reef but for now just get a blueline pump. I'll miss the space though. I'll make a hanging shelf system in the stand and it will work. I think by summer I will get a new skimmer and chiller as well. My heat is not an issue at all at only 500 watts total with the Mh's. but come summer with adding in T-5's in a few months who knows as this is a new reef and I've only had it 1 month.

Thanks again, and if you come up with a miracle external pump let me know...

Alison

I used and trusted the ER skimmers for years and can tell you that your making a good investment when it comes to protecting your aquariums. Also know that there happens to be two ER skimmer models out as far as I know that one at the skim cup you need to untwist until you can left to clean and the other is the skim cup you give a quarter twist as if a medication bottle and left to clean.

Buddy

A happy Bah-Hum-Bug Everyone

Alison,

I was doing some research on skimmers last night and discovered that Dave B. "o2manyfish" was running ETSS's using Rio HF (hyperflow) submersible pumps. You would have to experiment with pump sizing but I'd think the Rio 17HF would easily drive the ETSS 600 and its less than $100. I'd still use the skimmer outside the sump or raised up on a platform. Otherwise fluctuating sump water levels will change its performance. We have used Mag-Drive pumps submersed in the past but their performance never stayed consistent.

Back