Euro Reef RS 100 or 135

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pitmam01

Blondie911
My tank is 90 gal and I need a better skimmer. The one I originally purchased with the tank is leaking. I have replaced the O ring, etc and basically want to throw it in the street and run over it with my husbands F-350. (In fact, I may do that AFTER I get a new one.) Not sure if I need the Euro Reef RS100 or RS135. My local guy has these skimmers but I can get them from Marine Depot, for about 75.00 less. (Hey, I can use that $$$ to buy some FUN stuff)!!!! Anyone have experience with Euro Reef skimmers and which one would be best for 90 gal. I have live rock/sand, corals, foxface, 3 bangai's, 1 algae blenny, 4 shrimp and a 1 brittle star.

Thanks!!!

:)

Honestly.......i would shoot for the rs-180 if it will fit in your sump over either of those for a 90. BUT.......to directly answer your question. rs-135 no doubt given those two choices.

I use a meshmodded rs-180 on my 90

I would really try to get the "best" skimmer that your budget will allow, if you can afford the RS-180 I would get it. You may also want to look into the ATI bubblemaster skimmer, they seem to be a good option for a lot of people.

If you can get your hands on the ATI BM 160........It may be a good option and cheaper then the rs-180. I use the BM 250 on my 225 and love it.

Im considering getting rid of my ER-180 and swapping out for the BM-160, but i want to wait until more people have used it, to make sure it really will be an imporvement as the ER does a great job for me.

Thanks. I ended up with the RS 135. You should see the joke of a skimmer my tank set up came with. It's three times smaller than the RS 135. By the way...love your pictures!!!

If you can get your hands on the ATI BM 160........It may be a good option and cheaper then the rs-180. I use the BM 250 on my 225 and love it.

Im considering getting rid of my ER-180 and swapping out for the BM-160, but i want to wait until more people have used it, to make sure it really will be an imporvement as the ER does a great job for me.

Thanks. I ended up with the RS 135. You should see the joke of a skimmer my tank set up came with. It's three times smaller than the RS 135. By the way...love your pictures!!!

Now if you can find someone to help you mesh mod that RS 135 it will scream even more! :D

Update

So I took out my "old" (a month and 1/2 old) skimmer and replaced it with the Euro Reef 135. Barely fits in the sump (a month and 1/2 old). I'm now going to update to a new sump that has a refugium and 5 gal top off. I also added some additional lighting, T5's, some lunar lights and power heads. What a valuable lesson this has been, not to mention costly. Good thing I enjoy the hobby so much, I can see how people get discouraged and just say forget it. I have enough month and 1/2 "old" stuff to have an aquarium garage sale!!!

:oops::shock:

Don't forget extra equipment may not be good for the main display but is good for a QT tank. Another option is to try and sell it up here. To small of a sump for you might be a perfect size for someone else.

I've/we've all made the same mistake. Heck when I first bought all my stuff I made mistakes. I was uneducated and was sold stuff that just wasn't that good just junk. It's cost me more in the long run but I've learned from the experience also.

FYI: It never really seems to stop. There's always something bigger and better out there that you'll want some day. Just wait next it'll be a CA reactor.. Bigger better lights.... New pumps... Etc. etc. etc. :)

So true!!! My husband says I act like a crack addict!!! Can't go a day without wanting something else!!!!
:D

Don't forget extra equipment may not be good for the main display but is good for a QT tank. Another option is to try and sell it up here. To small of a sump for you might be a perfect size for someone else.

I've/we've all made the same mistake. Heck when I first bought all my stuff I made mistakes. I was uneducated and was sold stuff that just wasn't that good just junk. It's cost me more in the long run but I've learned from the experience also.

FYI: It never really seems to stop. There's always something bigger and better out there that you'll want some day. Just wait next it'll be a CA reactor.. Bigger better lights.... New pumps... Etc. etc. etc. :)

My wife say's She thinks I need therapy. I go out and check my skimmer, CA reactor etc. a couple times a day.

It's like crack with out all the nasty side affects. Like the uncontrollable twitching... :)

I constantly open the cabinet doors to check the temp, skimmer, water level, etc. I try to do it quietly so nobody can hear me if they're in the back of the house because they all yell, at the same time, "get outta there and keep your hands outta the damn tank"!!!!
:rolleyes:

My wife say's She thinks I need therapy. I go out and check my skimmer, CA reactor etc. a couple times a day.

It's like crack with out all the nasty side affects. Like the uncontrollable twitching... :)

you guys need to get out sometime!!!!!!!! Na just playin i cant wait to get my set up going. cant seem to find the right tank yet 100 to 150 gal. picky with price and look. I laugh but sure ill be doing the same thing!!!!!!!!

Welcome to RF Tanthony20... Laugh now as you'll be doing it also.. As for tank size if you have the space go for the 150...

you guys need to get out sometime!!!!!!!! Na just playin i cant wait to get my set up going. cant seem to find the right tank yet 100 to 150 gal. picky with price and look. I laugh but sure ill be doing the same thing!!!!!!!!

135, Tall enough, but you can still reach the bottom without a ladder.

Back