Euroreef rs5-3

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dieselbreath

Lost in the salty water
I just purchased a rs5-3 skimmer. It Seems to be working great the only question I have is cannot get the foam to stay low enough. It still wants to pump foam and water into the collection cup, and fill rather fast as in 10 minutes. The riser tube is all the way down and the water level is at 8". Could it just be necessary to raise the skimmer a bit up in the water.

Jason

That would be the next step. I know mine will over skim if the air intake get plugged a little, which in turn puts to much water and not enough air into it. Another thing that may cause this is additives in the water, and some foods I have heard will make them overskim, not sure about that one though. I would double check that the riser is all the way down, and just not stuck. If it is brand new, you may just be getting some impurities out of the water also, I would let it skim away and dump what it is pulling out, and see if it settles down.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Do you use stress coat or anything with aloe in it? That causes skimmers to go nuts. Also like Ken said, if you havent had a skimmer before it will take it a while to settle down.

Glad you found your problem, how is it skimming now that you have adjusted your height?

I haven't found the problem till I find the right solution, to the possible problem. I think a lift kit for the skimmer is in order. Any ideas on what to use? Hey diesel dave what do you drive, brand, and color.

Wow I got the Diesels mixed up :oops: . If ya need to raise the skimmer, as opposed to lowering the water level, you could buy a small sheet of acrylic, cut it to a little bit bigger than the skimmers footprint, including motor, and glue legs to it made from pvc pipe. This way you can support the motor and skimmer.

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

are you feeding any foods with a gel binder, a lot of the ocean nutrition foods for example have gel binders which set my euro-reef off like crazy when i ran one. i stopped using those foods because of that reason.

i had about 6 inches of water in my sump and it ran perfectly, do you have any pics of your sump you could share and maybe we could help you easier?

2003 Dodge, Silver, dyno'd @ 428bhp 934lbs.

Put 4 pieces of egg create under you skimmer to raise it. If you have used any epoxy sticks it will go nuts for a few days no mater what the hight is.

Kozmo - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I have an acrylic stand for my ER to sit on, made from some left overs when the sump was put together. I think dieseldave's idea of eggcrate is a good one to elevate the skimmer.

I thought about the eggcrate but thought it be a detris trap with all those squares stacked on each other and could be harder to clean...Just a thought.

Last edited:
If it is made into a box, then the eggcrate can have most of the squares cut out, or make the squares as large as possible. I do get some detritus collection under my acrylic one, but a turkey baster, or siphon during water change time, takes care of that.

edit: also maybe a piece of eggcrate ontop of some PVC pieces cut to the correct height.

If you really got some free time and a few pennies do this for detritus trapping, easy clean out and maximum bacteria loading. You need to raise your skimmer two inches I still recommend stacking the four pieces up.
What you need
1.) Egg create
2.) 1/16-1/8 sheet of acrylic any color will do.
3.) Weld On #16
4.) Sand Paper 120-220 grit
What you need to do
1.) Sand the Egg create to ruff up the surface this will allow bacteria to culture it like live rock.
2.) Only on the bottom piece of egg create. Use the Weld On #16 to bond the 1/8-1/16 piece of acrylic to a piece of egg create. You can do this for the entire bottom of your sump. I would not make them bigger than 8X8 they will be hard to lift out of the sump if they are any bigger. The squares will trap the detritus and the acrylic on the bottom will hold it there when you take it to your cleaning station(or to your freezer for some poopcicles.)
3.) Cut the other 3 pieces to place under you skimmer cut them as big or as small as you like the greater the ruff surface area the more bacteria you’ll have as long as you have enough water flow.
Good luck.

I'm driving a 97 cummins. DTT trans. stage 3 injectors etc. Turned down to 360BHP. A couple of trucks in the family are in the 440-480 range one of them was at 520 before we tuned her down. Who does your dyno, DDP?

Thanks for all the great ideas guys. Still trying to figure out how to keep the collection cup from filling so quickly as in 30-45 seconds. The sump was just put into service and the tank just had some stress coat after a very tramatizing time for the fish and other friends.

The stress coat will do it. I would run the skimmer at the recomemded level for sure though.

Back