Euthanasia -- Putting a Marine Fish Down

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good info on the clove oil. I will try that next time. I don't see fish i catch the same way i do my pet fish. Fish i catch i plan on eating. Fish i keep i love and care for. For me there is a difference.

next time i go to coral bay im going to collect clams as theres a 9kilo bag limit on clams thats alot of clams considering a 6 inch clam is around a 120 buck

i dont think theres a diffence between fish u catch and fish u buy scince i started this hobby i dont like the idea of fishing anymore and i only would if i planned on putting the fish in a tank

i dont think theres a diffence between fish u catch and fish u buy scince i started this hobby i dont like the idea of fishing anymore and i only would if i planned on putting the fish in a tank

ya i don't eat fish since i started the hobby... it makes me feel sick to my stomach

i agree :) ... we're all going that way, some sooner than others .

not a bad idea :shock::lol:

This isn't about death and it isn't about humans feeling sad. It's about ending a fish's life with the least suffering possible. If you can't accomodate that now that you've read Lee's very thoughtful article, I think you should find a hobby that doesn't involve living creatures. You're frankly not worthy of the fish you keep. :|-small

With all due respect, it is about death. Ending a life regardless of the reason is about death. There are moral distinctions between fishing, eating fish and maintaining a fish tank and trying to blur the lines between the two through moral equivalence is ridiculous IMHO. I fish. I eat fish. But I don't keep Salmon, Steelhead, Trout, Bass, Perch, etc in fish tanks either..:D:cool: I think it's a sad in day in American society when the whims of a few bleeding hearts cast dispersions on traditional outdoor sports and force their personal beliefs down the throats through mandated government intervention all in the name of arbitrary feelings set by special interest groups like PETA and such. Thumbs down!

Last edited:
whenever i think of butter i think of salmon and crabs :lol: :D.
well Alien dood to late for that, i added to my living creatures list a hyper dog who's 68 lbs, eats better than me, loves to jump on people and has the most unique name (Robacha).

now when it comes to fish, may be i'm not worthy because lately i don't put attention to my fish tank as i used to, but ..... never mind i'll just shut my mouth :)

That's cool, referdude. What I'm saying is basically the buddhist idea of easing suffering. Death and killing are not a moral problem per se. Every living thing kills to survive. As conscious beings, we should be doing all we can to eliminate suffering, even it's when we're killing something. Can you see the distinction I'm trying to make? I thought Lee's article was clear and scientific. It was far from what I'd call "bleeding heart". And for some folks to read that and then just turn around and say basically 'Well, I freeze 'em and who cares' is just ignorant and irresponsible and inhumane. I have a real problem with that. Ignorance is forgivable. Willful ignorance is not. -small

No need to take it so personally sblvr, I'm just trying to make a principled argument. And a spiritual one at that. I acknowledge that fish are fish, they're not dogs, and sh*t happens. I'm not trying to be all high and mighty. I've frozen a fish! But I wouldn't now after reading Lee's article. That's my point. I found the fact that people would read that and then essentially throw it out the window without any rational argument to be morally suspect and intellectually lazy.

sa you can not have it both ways. First you say other folks' opinions may be ignorant, inhumane, irresponsible, morally suspect and intellectually lazy, then say you're not trying to be all high and mighty...Which one is it? Frankly I don't care, I'm just illustrating the hypocrisy.

My point had nothing to do with you posts, and nothing to do with the manner to which people dispatch their pets. That's an individual choice and quite frankly I don't care how people do it and would never try to force my opinion down the throats of other pet owners based on some silly notion of humanity and self proclaimed moral high ground. In other words IMO you can do what ever you want to put your pet down, fish ,cat, dog etc , it's a private matter.

My post was speaking to the ridiculous "bleeding heart" notion that fishermen and women inflict "pain" on these fish and that "soon" scientific research will prove that theory. That's a crock! It's conjecture, a bleeding heart hypothesis and down right preposterous. The one thing many people seem to forget is that for nearly every study, research etc on one side of any debate there is a polar opposite one that disproves the other so to claim the debate is over simply because one person formed an opinion on some internet board is laughable.

I didn't read all the posts in this thread and was only commenting on that one point.

Last edited:
The posts have strayed from the topic.

If you would like to post a question, concern, or need more info on the original topic, please start a new thread. This one is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back