Every worry about temp when acclimating?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kirkland

92g reef lover
I acclimate new fish & corals for 1 to 1 1/2 hours by dripping water in like a good reefer. But I worry about the temperature! You bring a creature home from the store & put it in a bucket so you lose a few degrees there. Then tank water drips in over time, but doesn't the overall temp drop significantly during acclimation? I'm curious if a coral or fish gets shocked by a temp difference after acclimation. Has anyone else thought of this or combat it some way?

i actually put a small 50w heater in the bucket and have a glass tube thermometer that i used to get the temp the same as my tank. it brings it up slowly while i drip acclimate my new guys. :) it works for me

You want to be careful with temp acclimation, but not for the reason you think. Ammonia becomes more toxic at higher temps. If you're acclimating a purchase from a local source, its not such a big deal. But if you're acclimating a purchase from the internet that has been in a bag for several hours, then ammonia becomes an issue. You need to lock up the ammonia by way of something like Amquel or Ammo lock, then start raising the temp. Otherwise you could seriously injure or kill your new purchase.

Nick

I did a drip on a cold day, and noticed a pretty big temperature difference. Since then I've started dripping into the bag while floating in the sump.

I am a bad reef keeper. I float...do shot glass dumps every 15 min... 4 times about..then I put them in my tank.

Back