Everybody Eats Guppies

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seagem

Lurker
So I have a 10 gallon tank full of guppies. I used it to get my first lionfish acclimated and eating. I now have a 75 gallon tank with two damselfish, a pair of maroon clownfish, a lawnmower blenny, a yellow coris wrasse, and a fuzzy dwarf lionfish. Every so often, I would scoop out some of the baby guppies and dump them in the 75. Everybody goes crazy and starts chasing after the baby guppies. I thought only the lionfish would go for the guppies but even the wrasse is all over the place. I just thought I would share.

I bought some guppies as a last-ditch attempt at getting my lion to eat. The lion had no interest, so I decided to feed the anemone in an effort to mix up its diet. The guppy ended up getting away, only to be devoured whole by my 1/2" long talbot damsel. I sat there, mortified, as I watched my beautiful little damsel try and keep down this panicked guppy who was almost the same length as his predator. A few minutes went by before the talbot managed to get the guppy down the gullet, but it felt like an eternity to a concerned 'parent' like myself.

The rest of the guppies went into my freshwater setup. It turns out they were carrying some type of parasite (go figure) and drove my fire eel MAD! I've managed to cure his ailments, but there's still some scarring on his tail from when he started biting himself for no apparent reason.

The damselfish and the wrasse only go after the 4mm long or smaller babies. The adult guppies and smaller females are left for the lionfish. I don't feed the really big female guppies to the fuzzy dwarf for fear that she will choke on them. I have had the guppies for a while. I don't even know if I have any of the original feeders in the tank. I keep them to have a little variety in my wet pets' diet. Even my discus get a little excitement once in a while. They like the baby guppies too.

Back