Ext Pump recommendations?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DougH

I've purchased a used 180 gal Oceanic tank & w/ Oceanic 2 sump. Sump is under tank, so head length would be 6 ft or so.

Included is a Rio 3100, however I'm looking for a larger pump for the reef setup and to reduce heat transfer.

Options are adding a single external pump or a 2nd Rio 3100? Opinons?

For the external option, I would want something very quiet, low heat, and reliable!

Any brand and model recomendations? (iwaki JP or US?, Little Giant, Dolphin, GenEx, or others?)

Thanks
Doug

Doug,

I also have a 180... and for my Recirc pump, I'm using an Iwaki WMD40RLXT. It has worked flawlessly for me these last two years... even with my less than "regular" maintenance (hanging head in shame). There is a slight humming from this pump, but I have it sitting on a mouse pad, which has muffled most of the noise. From this piticular pump, since it runs external... not a lot of heat is transfered back into the tank, which is also a bonus! I get just about 1250gph flow, with this pump running under my stand (about a 6' head height).

I like my Iwaki WMD30RLXT. No problems after 2.5 years.... This is on my 90gal. Pretty quiet, no fan so the motor runs warm, but not a lot transfered to the water.

I use a Poseidon P-4 and love it. Absolutely silent. The rep on them is they will add heat to your tank, because the have no coolong fan on them. So I place a small clip-on fan that blows air on it and I have had no increase in tank temp.

I have had 2 iwaki wmd 30's with american motors that I bought used, they are both running perfect. I have a iwaki 55 (japanese) that I bought used that is running perfect, I bought a used iwaki 70 (japanese) and ran it for a year and sold it to another guy on this board who is running it now with no problems. I have a panworld 40 which is the equivilant of a iwaki 20 that I bought new and it has never skipped a beat. I guess the point of all that is that you can buy a used iwaki for about $70 and they just run and run forever.

I run a large (8000GPH) dolphin/ampmaster and 2 Iwaki model 70's (jap) I would pick the dolphin hands down for quietness. I have not had issues with any of these pumps.

big t said:
I guess the point of all that is that you can buy a used iwaki for about $70 and they just run and run forever.

Agreed.

My IWaki WMD20RLXT is running for 2 years, but was left in storage new for about a year before using it.

No noise, no hum, no heat, silent water movement ;)

Best,
Ilham

Back