External Pump Recommendation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

montepora

Hi,

I am setting up a new tank (240g) and the sump will be in the basement. I have 8' ceiling. The tank stand is 40" tall and the tank heigh is 24".

I am thinking of using the hammerhead for return and would like to tee it off to feed a skimmer (ETSS 1000) that requires at least 1500gph and a chiller that requires at least 750gph. I have heard that hammerhead is not pressure rated and I will mostly likely not be able to do this. Can you recommend a Sequence pump that will do the job??

Thank you.

I would contact MDM or ask Reef Flo on here. Reef Flo actually works for MDM or Sequence. I hope this helps.
Ed

Hammerhead

It is a common misconception that the ReeFlo line of pumps, like the Hammerhead, can not handle high pressure systems. The Hammerhead could easily handle the system that you described and it will give you plenty of pressure and flow. We have heard from many customers using the Barracuda or the Hammerhead on skimmers or pressure rated systems and they are very happy with the pumps performance.
From the specifics that you have given me, it is also important to know the size piping that you are using and the length of total run of the piping. Smaller than 1 1/2" piping can add a lot of friction loss to your system, which restricts flow from the pump. It is also important not to have any 't's or angles close to the intake or the discharge of the pump. If you are going to split the line with a 'T' make sure you allow atleast a foot or 2 after the discharge of the pump to do so.
The Hammerhead will give 3000 gph (which is around what your system requires) at about 18' of head pressure. Even estimating high, your system should not have this much head pressure, so the Hammerhead will give you plenty of flow and plenty of pressure. If you have anymore questions please feel free to check out our web site at www.sequencepumps.com or call us at 800-447-8342.

Hey Reeflow, welcome to RF & thinks for that information, I have one question, most applications we tend to 90 up real close on the suction then several feet up to the Tee, is this a big no no from what your saying?

Thanks

ReeFlo Sequence said:
It is a common misconception that the ReeFlo line of pumps, like the Hammerhead, can not handle high pressure systems. The Hammerhead could easily handle the system that you described and it will give you plenty of pressure and flow. We have heard from many customers using the Barracuda or the Hammerhead on skimmers or pressure rated systems and they are very happy with the pumps performance.
From the specifics that you have given me, it is also important to know the size piping that you are using and the length of total run of the piping. Smaller than 1 1/2" piping can add a lot of friction loss to your system, which restricts flow from the pump. It is also important not to have any 't's or angles close to the intake or the discharge of the pump. If you are going to split the line with a 'T' make sure you allow atleast a foot or 2 after the discharge of the pump to do so.
The Hammerhead will give 3000 gph (which is around what your system requires) at about 18' of head pressure. Even estimating high, your system should not have this much head pressure, so the Hammerhead will give you plenty of flow and plenty of pressure. If you have anymore questions please feel free to check out our web site at www.sequencepumps.com or call us at 800-447-8342.

Thank you so much for your reply. The pipe will be 1.5" flexible PVC. The overall height from sump to tank will be around 11' with 2x90 degree elbows on each return (2 returns). Right now, the water will go straight down into the tank without other elbows (maybe another 90 degree elbow, not sure yet). The overflow box has 2x1.5" drain (I think that will give me at least 1500gph). I will take your suggestion and will give 1 1/2 feet distance for the pump to discharge then connect the manifold (3 ways).

Last edited:
Back