EXTRA Long Light Cycle???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

intrested how ur ph and alk would do during that kind of cycle as well... hmm i think the tank would crash after awhile.

+1 peppie be the ginny!

There is way to much equipment involved in doing an experiment for this scenario. You would need two of every thing.
Hey I have an idea.. 1guydude, seems like you are not sure on what you want to do with a tank. Why not let the members here direct you on what you should do???

I wouldn't be keeping fish in that system. A lot of coral grow quicker and feed during dark hours more than light. I would say a total dark period of at least 8-10 hrs is needed. I would think that at the least you would have to compensate for excess heat, bulb life and evaporation as well as various micro algae. I only run my lights 10 hrs a day.

Last edited:
why would we need two of everything?...one control and one variable tank?
lol im deff open to critisizm! Plz chime in peppie. I suppose we could use my new tank or old tank set up for an experiment :)
R u the stand guy peppie?

Ill hopefully be doing a surge tank above the psas tank here in december time!

why would we need two of everything?...one control and one variable tank?
lol im deff open to critisizm! Plz chime in peppie. I suppose we could use my new tank or old tank set up for an experiment :)
R u the stand guy peppie?

Ill hopefully be doing a surge tank above the psas tank here in december time!

Yes I am the STAND GUY. What ever you can dream up, I can make it happen.

As for the exp. you would need to plumb two tanks into one sump, so the water is the same. The flow in each tank would need to be identical. The placment of the coral would need to be the same in both tanks. The lighting would need to be the same, less the duration. Quite the set up for a year just to see if one of the corals collapses under its own weight cause its skeleton was way to thin.

As for the exp. you would need to plumb two tanks into one sump, so the water is the same.
But if the longer light cycle had any effects on the water (pH, organics, etc.), then a common sump would mask some of the effects.

What is really needed is SIX identical tanks, randomly selected to be either control (normal) or extended light cycle ...

But if the longer light cycle had any effects on the water (pH, organics, etc.), then a common sump would mask some of the effects.

What is really needed is SIX identical tanks, randomly selected to be either control (normal) or extended light cycle ...
+1 this would create a good baseline for this type of test.

dnjan, LOL
I thought this would never come up again!
You bring up a very valid point
I knew this experiment would never get off the ground, so there wasnt a whole lot of thought that went into it. LOL

I know...get timers. Anyways. Nothing died, the temp was 85, all the fish were swimming slow like they just had a big party.

Back