Falling pH - Humidity a factor?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hooked

My calcium reactor clogged and was shut down for 2-3 days early last week. My pH started falling (less than 8.0 during photoperiod) and I thought it was because the cal reactor was down for a few days and my params were out of whack.

First I calibrated my pH monitor (I could hear Mike in my head telling me to--weird, huh) Then double checked with a test kit, then checked all my params and the calcium was down to 360 (normally 400ish), while everything else remained close to my normal levels (alk was 10dKh). So I raised the calcium over a couple of days, turned the cal reactor off, (Mike in my head again) and still low pH. Actually still falling and trying to drop below 7.8--I was dripping kalk even during the day to keep it up.

In the meantime I thought I'd go ahead and do my water change, but when I checked the pH of the new water it was also low!! So then I realized it had to be "atmospheric" and I opened the windows and sure enough the pH went up.

The weather in Indianapolis was wickedly humid last week. Is it possible that all that humidity increased the levels of gasses trapped in the house? I'v had the house closed up for extended periods of time in the past and not had this problem. And is there an alternate solution? Fortunately we got a break in the weather and I can leave the windows open for a few days, but if we had extreme humidity for an extended period of time would there be an alternative solution?

Thanks

If your skimmer has a venturi or air inlet for a becket extend the hose and hang it out a window. Helps alot.

Don

If you decide to run it outside dont forget to bring it back in for the winter or "t" in a valve. The cold air flowing through the line makes a great chiller when its cold out.

Don

Hey Mike is this where I sign up as a "mojogroupie"? Aren't you glad I don't live on the west coast :cool: :lol:

I have a Turboflotor 1000-can I do that with that skimmer? So I guess you guys think the high humidty was likely the cause?

Blech - Indiana weather.

LOL - mojo-groupie :D Hey, at least you recalibrated your monitor. You know that would have been the first suggestion. :)

Just plain to much co2 trapped in the house. Yes will work with the t1k just add in a section of hose to your venturi. Prefferably go around the hose not inside it(cuts down the air flow). Should make your skimmer more efficient also, sucking in the higher oxygen content.

Don

Back