Favorite Little Tank Gadget?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What is your favorite little gadget?

• Algae Scraper (magnet, etc)

Votes: 46 32.4%
  • Feeding Clip (suction cup, magnetic, etc)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Aquarium Tongs

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Flashlight

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Siphon hose

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Trap/Net

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Turkey Baster

Votes: 24 16.9%
  • Refractometer or Hydrometer

Votes: 19 13.4%
  • Fragging Shears or Forceps

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other (please add below)

Votes: 17 12.0%

• Total voters

NaH2O

What is your current favorite little tank gadget? There are many items that are really neat and make things "easier", or just cool to have. Let's see what you favorite is.

If you vote for Other....then please indicate what it is below.

Right at this moment, my favorite is the Refractometer. Salinity is an important water parameter, so to me it is my favorite piece......and because I'm a dork and like to look through it :D .

I can only vote for one??... yikes... it is a tie between the magnetic algae scraper, siphon hose and refractometer....... siphon hose wins i suppose. I sure would hate to do water changes with a hand bucket :eek:

Tongs for reaching...

I love Aquarium Tongs. I love using them to reach things behind rock and in narrow spaces. If I can just keep them hidden from my 9 year old, I have it made.

Woodstock said:
I sure would hate to do water changes with a hand bucket

LOL - no kidding! Talk about messy! I guess I never even considered what I would do without a siphon hose. Makes removing the detritus piles alot easier, too.

hehehe - to make the choices a little more difficult....I swapped out super glue and added Turkey Baster! :D

I really like my new Tongs! True, I do have longer than average arms, and can reach to the bottom of my 180 tank... but I find myself feeding my Anemonies, and just re-arranging in general with my tongs about every evening!

HANDY THANGS!!!! *Big Smile*

I've got to say super glue, My rock is glued in place with it after have to redo my tank when rock started slipping lower then still lower. Don't ever want to have to do that again took almost 48 hours with my husband and myself both working almost non stop. But for get the siphon hose and just use a power head to pump the water out for water changes. Then drop it in the replacement water and pump it back in.

the turkey baster. A must when you go BB. I always feed my fish out of it and this way they eat about anything. when it goes in the tank My trigger goes to it and starts to nibble on the end. got his eating flake in a week.

Nikki, if I am not mistaken, a toothbrush should be added to your list. They are great for cleaning powerhead screens and intake strainers, brushing nuisance algae off of clams, if you have that problem, and if worst comes to worst, brushing your teeth in a real emergency when your significant other drops your last one in the toilet. :D

LakeEd said:
I do have longer than average arms, and can reach to the bottom of my 180 tank

I'm going to assume you are really tall? or maybe an Orangutan? Just kidding :) LOL

I love my aquarium tongs, too. It isn't easy reaching the back bottom of my tank. I normally have to turn my head, so I don't put my face in.....and I usually wind up drenched. The tongs have made it easier for me, in certain situations.

Like Charlie - the toothbrush is another good one. When you want to play a joke your significant other, you can replace his/her toothbrush with the tank one, and see what happens. I wonder how well my sonicare toothbrush will work on my rocks.....

LOL! Valium! I think I needed some when I had tank plumbing issues! Good one!! LOLOL

mcox33 - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

DongShenYin - auto top-off is a great one, too.

Gotta love a chiller - When angry, counting to 10 with relaxed breathing just doesn't cut it anymore. lol

Like Charlie - the toothbrush is another good one. When you want to play a joke your significant other, you can replace his/her toothbrush with the tank one, and see what happens. I wonder how well my sonicare toothbrush will work on my rocks.....

Nikki, I want to make it to 51, it's just a simple goal, don't you think?? :)

LOL. It would be that bad, huh? At first I thought you meant if you tried a Sonicare toothbrush in the tank.....then I realized what you meant. I suppose it would be the same response if you dumped skimmate in the toilet and left it there when you have company over :D

NaH2O said:
LOL. It would be that bad, huh? At first I thought you meant if you tried a Sonicare toothbrush in the tank.....then I realized what you meant. I suppose it would be the same response if you dumped skimmate in the toilet and left it there when you have company over :D

Nahhhhhh, I'm not gonna go there!!!!!! That would open up a whole new can of worms that would be better off in the Water Fountain. :D :D

Back