Favorite Salt mix

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I've never tried TM Pro Reef salt. I use Seachem Reef Salt, which has non-borate alk of 8 dhk (borate levels artificially inflate its dhk readings to 9-10 dhk but the borate is not usable by corals).

I swiched from Reef Crystal to Seachem Reef.

What kind of readings are you getting for CA and Alk? I switched to Seachem Reef from IO but my Ca is off the charts and the Alk comes in around 6.2ish dKh.

I will probably go back to IO

I also used Tropic Marin for a while but was not happy with the fact that it had detectable nitrates AND it is now $60 for a 200G bucket...

Last edited:
I have only used Oceanic with my current 9 month old 75g SPS tank.

Mix at 1.026 after 24 hours

Ca 440-460
Dkh 9.6 - 9.9
Mag ~1300

My LFS carries the 200g buckets for $44.99

I have tried IO and RC in the past. IO is cheap but has to be buffered to much in Calcium and the One bucket of RC I tried measured at 14dkh!

I'm sticking with Oceanic.

I
have only used Oceanic with my current 9 month old 75g SPS tank.

Ca 440-460
Dkh 9.6 - 9.9
Mag ~1300

I have tried IO and RC in the past. IO is cheap but has to be buffered to much in Calcium and the One bucket of RC I tried measured at 14dkh!

What test kit do you use to measure calcium? I'm surprised that you are getting a reading of only 440-460 Ca. Typically this salt measures 560-580 Ca at 1.026 salinity....

I have only used Oceanic with my current 9 month old 75g SPS tank.

Ca 440-460
Dkh 9.6 - 9.9
Mag ~1300

I'm sticking with Oceanic.

If those are accurate numbers thats not bad. I used Oceanic when I first started up. Calcium was off the chart and Alk was low. The last bucket of IO I mixed up tested at around 390 calcium, a lil low but not too bad.

Back