Feeding a Starfish -- How and What

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lunchie

I am considering adding a Chocolate Chip Star Fish to my tank but before I did I wanted to find out what and how you feed a Star Fish???

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If you have a reef setup with corals do not put a chocolate chip starfish in! It will eat your corals.

It you do not have corals, then you can have the chocolate chip. When I had one I would feed it pieces of krill that I would put right next to it.

Hope that helps. :)

to feed a chocolate star you simply put it in your reef tank and and it will leave you with coral skeletons! they will also eat snails and other meat. if you feed it raw shrimp or other fresh seafood (oysters, clams) on a regular basis and learn its patterns you can usually keep it off your corals but 8-12 hours is often the difference between him not being hungry and another coral being eaten. you will always have to be on the alert and worrying about it! sometimes i have tried to feed my star in the evening and its not hungry and in the morning another xenia or snail or worse is gone! i use to get upset about his snail addiction but a snail or two a week to feed him if thats ALL he eats isnt too bad! but kinda hard luck for the snails! some will even graze on algee, occasionally!

Thanks for all the input. I don't have any corals and have no plans to get any. I have a FOWLR I do have plenty of snails and he will be welcome to them. I appreciate all the input. I will post some pictures once I get him. Thanks again,

Back