Feeding a Yellow Tang

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Taken from Leebca's sticky, Feeding Marine Fish and Fish Nutrition:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27014&highlight=nori

Nori. Not my favorite source of seaweed. It is a human product. Too many manufacturers/packers of nori flavor it or treat it with preservatives. Those with flavorings and/or additives are not suitable for marine fishes. Stick to seaweeds, kelp, and algae prepared for marine fishes that eat vegetables

I feed mine nori sheets. Tangs are graziers so I use a clip so they can pick at it all day. I also conditioned them to eat from my hand. I makes it a lot easier to catch them if you need to.

Ocean Nutrition brand Seaweed Select has Green Brown & Red Marine Algae pks available at most LFS's. Not to expensive, SAFE, easy to use and herbivores/omnivores like Tangs, Angels, Foxfaces love it. Even my Leopard & Canary Wrasses eat it.

Todd

P.S. If you can find a magnetic algae clip get it it'll save you alot of frustration and won't teach any youngsters a bunch of bad words.

My yellow tang just eats a good quality marine flake. Typically they should be supplemented with vegetation also, but I don't because I have tons of algae growing in my tank, and he is doing wonders to control it. If he ever picks the rocks clean, then he will get something else.

Feed clowns almost any fish food (flakes or frozen) they are omnivours, so benefit from a variety of nutrition. Feed anemones meaty food such as silversides.

i use the plain nori sheets from the local asian market. package of 100 large sheets cost 8 bucks. Been using them for years, my tanks will eat 1/2 a sheet in about 10 minute. I only have a purple tang and a red sea sailfin.

i use the plain nori sheets from the local asian market. package of 100 large sheets cost 8 bucks. Been using them for years, my tanks will eat 1/2 a sheet in about 10 minute. I only have a purple tang and a red sea sailfin.
I feed the same sheets. I rubber band it to a 4" tonga branch that it hanging near the top of my tank from fishing line. My tangs always dislodged the clips and I hated having to reach for them on the bottom. I also feed them chopped up meaty foods.

I feed the same sheets. I rubber band it to a 4" tonga branch that it hanging near the top of my tank from fishing line. My tangs always dislodged the clips and I hated having to reach for them on the bottom. I also feed them chopped up meaty foods.

thats funny. I use a pvc pipe that lays across the tank and another that hangs from it that I use a rubberband to hold nori to the pvc. drilled a couple holes to let water thru and another hole at the top to use a zip tie to slide it on the other pvc. very easy to use and no fishing for the clips. lol

I feed mine nori sheets. Tangs are graziers so I use a clip so they can pick at it all day. I also conditioned them to eat from my hand. I makes it a lot easier to catch them if you need to.

That’s funny, I freeze like a deer in headlights when they come up and start tearing away at the stuff on the clip as I’m putting it into the tank. Scares the crap out of me some times. Along with the water splashing in my face the thought of a tang hooking my hand is just scary. I don’t think training is needed. Just stick your hand in and hold on.

Back